Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Labor cost to hang and finish drywall in a garage

I am a carpenter who does drywall every once in a blue moon. I have a customer who needs his garage drywall hung and finished, it is halfway done from original builder so it's only about 350 sq.ft. using 4 x 12 sheets...What would be a fair labor cost for this? I am in Raleigh N.C. ,appreciate some feedback...

Old 07-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggyvine
I am a carpenter who does drywall every once in a blue moon. I have a customer who needs his garage drywall hung and finished, it is halfway done from original builder so it's only about 350 sq.ft. using 4 x 12 sheets...What would be a fair labor cost for this? I am in Raleigh N.C. ,appreciate some feedback...
There's no way you are a carpenter asking a question like this.

Besides....read the sticky about pricing.....it goes for what you are asking too. No one in a million years can possibly tell you what to charge.

PaliBob (07-09-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 11:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
There's no way you are a carpenter asking a question like this.

Besides....read the sticky about pricing.....it goes for what you are asking too. No one in a million years can possibly tell you what to charge.
I just don't do much drywall work. Thanks for the demeaning and charge em whatever answer, it was so helpful...
The Following User Says Thank You to eggyvine For This Useful Post:
jimmy21 (07-10-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

Quote:

I just don't do much drywall work. Thanks for the demeaning and charge em whatever answer, it was so helpful...
You're obviously a homeowner doing some side work. How in the world can you possibly think asking on a DIY'er how much to charge for any type of job and get an answer.

It's impossible.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:38 PM   #5

Quote:
You're obviously a homeowner doing some side work. How in the world can you possibly think asking on a DIY'er how much to charge for any type of job and get an answer.

It's impossible.
First off, I have an established carpentry business in which I specialize in custom decks and porches. This has been a lucrative and successful business for me for over 15 years. Not that I owe you any sort of explanation or bragging rights, but I have my own operating website with testimonials, as well as A-grades on Angie's List. I pride myself in treating a customer fairly, and often find myself giving estimates when others before me have either failed professionally, or charged way too much for the basic **** that needs to be completed. Having said that, my customers trust me and refer me out based on my integrity. When I come to a site asking a 'fair price' for such trivial things as drywall, I expect the same integrity, and some honest feedback. Even though we live in two separate areas of the country, I thank guys like you for keeping me in business. I will certainly keep your feedback in mind, but look for the guys out there who can give me some honest and professional feedback on what to charge, as I simply requested, for some basic drywall work. Please, forgive me for not knowing the going rate for something so basic.
The Following User Says Thank You to eggyvine For This Useful Post:
jimmy21 (07-10-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 12:05 AM   #6
Framing Contractor

Quote:

First off, I have an established carpentry business in which I specialize in custom decks and porches. This has been a lucrative and successful business for me for over 15 years. Not that I owe you any sort of explanation or bragging rights, but I have my own operating website with testimonials, as well as A-grades on Angie's List. I pride myself in treating a customer fairly, and often find myself giving estimates when others before me have either failed professionally, or charged way too much for the basic **** that needs to be completed. Having said that, my customers trust me and refer me out based on my integrity. When I come to a site asking a 'fair price' for such trivial things as drywall, I expect the same integrity, and some honest feedback. Even though we live in two separate areas of the country, I thank guys like you for keeping me in business. I will certainly keep your feedback in mind, but look for the guys out there who can give me some honest and professional feedback on what to charge, as I simply requested, for some basic drywall work. Please, forgive me for not knowing the going rate for something so basic.
This is even worse if your in your own buisness for that long. A professional contractor in buisness for 15 years asking how to price a job on the internet on a DIY'er forum no less.

You have to base the price on what YOU need to be in buisness. Whether its by the hour or price. How could any buisness man ask what to charge for a job on a DIY'er forum or any other forum.

Again....read the sticky on pricing....it goes for asking how much to charge. It can't be answered.

No response is necassary after you read the sticky.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:14 AM   #7

I was just looking for a ballpark answer from a a fellow contractor, again I really don't do drywall much, at least not for business...New to this site but I figured I would run into someone who knew something on this and being new here I have no idea what a sticky is...
Old 07-10-2012, 12:17 AM   #8
liscenced electrician

Rewards Points: 504

Quote:

It's impossible.
While i agree that we won't know what he should charge, its because we don't know the going rate for contractors in his area. Drywall contractors in arizona are going to be much cheaper than they are in new york city, etc. The rest of your post is just off the charts. You (and arrogant people like you) are the reason i sometimes hate these online message boards. You are the type that are so busy throwing their 2 cents in about tangent topics that you always make sure to avoid the original question. I don't know why you have to assume everyone is lying all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggyvine View Post

I don't know what to tell you on price since i don't do it professionally. You will have a much better time getting answers for pricing questions at contractortalk.com
The Following User Says Thank You to jimmy21 For This Useful Post:
eggyvine (07-10-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 12:27 AM   #9
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy21 View Post
While i agree that we won't know what he should charge, its because we don't know the going rate for contractors in his area. Drywall contractors in arizona are going to be much cheaper than they are in new york city, etc. The rest of your post is just off the charts. You (and arrogant people like you) are the reason i sometimes hate these online message boards. You are the type that are so busy throwing their 2 cents in about tangent topics that you always make sure to avoid the original question. I don't know why you have to assume everyone is lying all the time

Jimmy,
Read this slowly so you can comprehend. What you say means nothing. You don't like what I have to say, don't respond to me.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:38 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

I usually hang 4x12 sheets by the piece. I charge $1.55 per sheet. And I have a great finisher that can tape and do a second coat on a 4x12 sheet in under 3 minutes and 35 seconds. He charges 3cents per minute. Hope this helps. So for 350 sq.ft ... $29.99 . Just hope he doesn't get a second bid because a lot of local competitors are charging $1.46 a sheet.
The Following User Says Thank You to CopperClad For This Useful Post:
eggyvine (07-10-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 12:46 AM   #11
liscenced electrician

Rewards Points: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperClad View Post
I usually hang 4x12 sheets by the piece. I charge $1.55 per sheet. And I have a great finisher that can tape and do a second coat on a 4x12 sheet in under 3 minutes and 35 seconds. He charges 3cents per minute. Hope this helps. So for 350 sq.ft ... $29.99 . Just hope he doesn't get a second bid because a lot of local competitors are charging $1.46 a sheet.

being from pheonix, i wouldn't be surprised if you were serous
The Following User Says Thank You to jimmy21 For This Useful Post:
CopperClad (07-10-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 12:48 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 250

What?!?!!? You think my prices aren't fair ??
Old 07-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #13
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,916

All right---this one is closed---

Everyone has to learn pricing as part of growing a new business---the question was legit--only way to broad to answer.

Go to a bookstore --get a couple of remodeling/construction price books like the Means or Craftsman series. Read and sip some coffee.

I am closing this thread---Mike----

Tags
drywall labor cost