Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2009, 03:20 PM   #1

Share |

Laaly column install

I built a 10' x 19' loft in my garage. I tried spanning the entire 2 car (19') garage with 2 2x10s sister joist together with 1/2 lags bolts every 12" or so. Well with the load I have accumalted on the loft, I can see the beam is starting to sag in the middle . I am finally going to concede and install a lally column or 4 x 4 in the middle of the span.
My question is do I need to cut into the garage floor and install a footer or can I install the column directly on the garage floor (4" concrete). If not, how deep does the footer have to be?
Thanks.

stewsido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #2

Laaly column install

I would think it would be better to have that beam sized correctly (professionally) than throw a column in there and hope for the best. A local lumberyard should be able to size a beam for you.

WaldenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
Tool Geek

Laaly column install

Stew, Welcome to the forum.
I would use a pressure treated 4x4 with an adjustable height Simpson Post Base:
http://store.qualitydist.net/sst-epb44t.html

Available at most Building Supply or big Box stores

Advantages:
  • 3275 lb rated download
  • 1130 lb uplift
If you want to explore this option, Shout Out & I & others can give Installation tips.

PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:53 AM   #4

Laaly column install

Love this idea. So it looks like I can directly into my concrete floor? No footer requred?
Old 08-28-2009, 06:56 AM   #5

Laaly column install

Thanks. I considered it early in the project, but was hessitant to spend the extra money... paying for it now. But I think a single beam in the center will work out jut not optimal to the gargae layout. What would I have to do? Jack the floor up off the beam and temporarily support it?
Old 08-28-2009, 06:59 AM   #6

Laaly column install

Was the 2x10 beam sized originally?
If not it may not be strong enough to support the loft
With the column at the 1/2 way point you should be good
But it is possible for more sagging/problems if the 2x10's can't carry the load
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #7

Laaly column install

Need more information. IF the span of the joists are under 10', from the rim to the back garage wall, and a center post is added, it will carry 40# per sq.ft. maximum, with a 4x4 post, no taller than 10'. Presuming the joists are on hangers and the ledger is lagged to each stud properly, the wood is all #2 grade and free of defects. You will need a 18" round concrete footing, 7" thick on undisturbed soil, with a metal stand-off to post 1"above the slab. A positive connection is required at the ledger/post top. Anything over this will need engineering.
Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
Remodeling Contractor

Laaly column install

Or;
You may be able to sister the appropiate sized laminated beam to whatever you have the joists tied into,keeping the post out of the picture completely.
Some lumber yards can calculate the size you will need .
oldfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:06 PM   #9

Laaly column install

GBR,
The span is 10 ft from the ledger wall to the beam. The ledger board is a single 2 x 10, supported in 3 places with 4 x 6 posts. The posts are mounted on brackets that are screwed into the existing garage footer. The ledger board is about 20' long. The joists are hung with joist hangers across the ledger board on 16" centers and lagged into the back wall studs of the garage.
The joists overhang 18" beyond the beam. The joist are 2 x 10s and I have 8 x 16 steel angle brackets (capable of holding 100# load each) on every joist to help support the 18" overhang (i wanted a smuch floor space as possible. The beam is 6'4" off the floor. It is supported on both ends by 4 x 6 pressured treated posts setting on brackets screwed into the garage floor. On one side I was able to mount one of the 4x6 posts on the existing garage side wall footers.
Are you feeling better about the design? Not sure how I could sister joist into my existing beam. Would I need additional 4 x 4 posts on the ends to support the new beam?
Old 08-28-2009, 01:48 PM   #10
Remodeling Contractor

Laaly column install

The joists overhang 18" beyond the beam.

What size is this beam?
oldfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:57 PM   #11

Laaly column install

Some pictures would help greatly I think
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:07 PM   #12

Laaly column install

If you wanted to add a beam, like an LVL, you would need new end bearing posts just for that.

Joists- 10' span/ 2 = 5' + 1.5' cant. = 6.5' span over beam x 40 lbs. Live load = 260# x 9.5' (beam span) = 2470# total load

Page 75, here: http://www.awc.org/pdf/WSDD/C2B.pdf Under 10' beam span, 3x10 (2-2x10's), Hem-fir #2- rated at 1150 fb (fiber bending) will carry 2733# load. The species of beam changes the load. This is an example for you. Read the species rating to re-figure or get back to me. NOTE: you must solid block between the joists at the beam line to prevent rotation.

If you wanted a clear span with a glue-lam, LVL or other, as mentioned by Oldfrt, see your local yard to find what is in stock.

Here is some more reading for you: http://www.umass.edu/bmatwt/publicat...s_headers.html
http://www.lpcorp.com/Literature/lp_...tech_guide.pdf
http://www.google.com/search?client=...=Google+Search

Be safe, G

Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote