Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2009, 06:26 PM   #1

Share |

L bolts in concrete slab...

I'm pouring a 10' x 16' concrete slab that will someday have a garage/shed built on top of it. The slab will be about 12" deep around the edge and 7-8" in the center. I'm going to install some "L bolts" (I hope that's the correct term) when the slab is poured. I'm thinking that 1/2" bolts that are 8" long should suffice, but I'm not sure how many to use. We're in earthquake country, so I'd like to overdo it a bit. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
L bolts in concrete slab...-slab1.jpg  

Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:20 PM   #2
PHB Construction LLC

We have a specific distance and codes up here in MI. I don't know about earthquake country but I would search the codes in your area. Those L bolts are called many things, sill bolts, foundation bolts.....

Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
We have a specific distance and codes up here in MI. I don't know about earthquake country but I would search the codes in your area. Those L bolts are called many things, sill bolts, foundation bolts.....
Yes, I'll check the code requirements here. Just out of curiosity, do you know what the requirements are in your neck of the woods?
Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #4

A google on foundation bolts or similar will find several items.

When I built my 24x30 workshop in SoCal I had to do shear walls in each corner, with the shear walls connected via brackets to J-bolts in the foundation. This required the J-bolts to be very carefully placed to fall next to the shear wall ends and the corner. Then j-bolts about every 4-6 feet if i recall.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:33 PM   #5

Another item I can't see if in your pictures - a ufer for the electrical ground. Even if not you are planning electical sub panel for the detached building, suggest to install one now since it's so easy to do - then it's there for the future.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote