Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2005, 03:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Knocking down interior walls

Hello there....
I am looking for a bit of advice on knocking down one wall and making an archway in another wall.
I have already had a builder to come and give me a quote on doing it and he has told me that they are not supporting walls.
This is no problem for the wall im knocking down, but would like any tips on knocking it down anyway.
But the wall that im making an archway into i need somemore advice. Alough its not a supporting wall as ceiling joists run front to back (and so does the wall. I think that the wall may continue to upstairs. Directly above where i want to make an arch there is a doorway. Any suggestions on where i start and what i need please ????????

imported_neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:23 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Knocking down interior walls

Neil
before knocking down a wall you did the MOST important thing making sure it is not a support wall. Next is to pull off the wall board or plater to gain access to electrical and such. Then the wiring, pluming, heating, and so on if in the wall will have to be rerouted or terminated. Then the wood is cut or dismantled for removal.

About the archway, this thread may help

http://discussdiy.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=234