Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2010, 07:53 PM   #1

Share |

kitchen pass through load bearing

I just bought a house in wi. It's a brick ranch and I was looking to do some remodeling in the kitchen. I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me if this is possible. See attached drawing for reference (blue=basement beam, green=main floor walls, red=attic rafters).

I'm looking to make a pass through in the wall between the kitchen and living room. The wall has a built in hutch by the living room. I'd like to remove the hutch to add the pass through. The whole room is 23' wide, the wall in question is 11.5' wide, and I'd like to open an 8' pass through. There is also 13.5' between the wall in question and the exterior living room wall.

Can anybody tell if this wall is load bearing from my rudimentary diagram? If it is what size of header and jack studs would you need to adequately support the structure?

thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
kitchen pass through load bearing-wall.jpg  

shann84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:11 PM   #2

I suspect that the living room ceiling joists are terminating there and creating a supporting wall.
If the Living room is trusses, and there is a girder truss above the wall at the kitchen, it might not be structural.

treat it as a structural wall
handle the removal/replacement as such.
As to the header sizing, check with your local Building Inspector to see what sort of engineering you will need.
Or check with an Engineer to see what will keep your Building Inspector happy.

they work together... to protect you, your family and your property.

Last edited by jlhaslip; 01-18-2010 at 08:13 PM.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:45 PM   #3

thanks for the reply.

I actually had three contractors come and look at the wall in question, one said he would add a header and a post, another said it wasn't bearing at all and he'd probably just remove it, the third never got back to me. So I'm not really sure what to think. From everything I read I think it's load bearing and obviously it's better to be safe than sorry.

How do you go about finding a structural engineer? I'm assuming that's not the same as a contractor. I looked in the yellow pages and online and didn't see any "structural engineers" should I be looking for something else?
shann84 is offline   Reply With Quote