Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #1

Share |

Kitchen Layout - What one is better?

These aren't exactly to scale, but relatively close. I can't edit them in Google Sketchup. I can't pick between the two layouts.

Kitchen Layout:

Option 1 - The long run is correct (13'), but I have another 12" on the shorter run.

Option 2 - This shows the long run at 15', but my kitchen is 13", so it would most likely be a tighter fit between the stove and the wall, and the stove and the sink. The stove and range will not be as shown - they will be the same as Option 1.

Last edited by RCGA; 03-22-2013 at 07:50 AM.
RCGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #2

What's the point of having the window there? It's eating up your storage area.
As well as that huge exhost fan where you could have had more storage and an over the range microwave.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #3

The window has to stay - it's the only window in the entire kitchen.

The stove and range setup will be similar to Option 1 for both, I just couldn't change it in Google Sketchup
Old 03-22-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Draw up the complete floor plan for that floor, not just the Kitchen, and label the spaces. You may have room to grab from somewhere to go further. Our Kitchen was orig. 10' deep, but we ended up knocking out the wall between it and the dining, to be able to run the cabinets on the wall where our stove is, with two 36" cabinets planned, then the stove in the middle of the two.

Also allowed up to place a dishwasher between the sink base & the fridge, where the fridge sat next to the 36" sink base, with two 18" cabinets to the right of it.

It is better to grab space from somewhere if you can, vs. keeping it smaller. Plus it can open it up to allow you to be able to not only not feel closed in while in there, but also if you entertain, it would allow better flow, and better conversation with others.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #5

In those pictures the kitchen is not on an outside wall, is your's really on an outside wall?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
In those pictures the kitchen is not on an outside wall, is your's really on an outside wall?
Yes. The sink is facing the street.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
Stuck in the 70's

You really need to do an accurate to-scale drawing before you decide.
For instance, in the second drawing there is room for the dishwasher to the right of the sink. In the first there is not enough room. Which is it? You want your sink cabinet centered under your window. It will be noticeable if not.
I do agree with Joe, unless you have square footage to spare, that range hood is wasted space.
Blondesense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #8
Roofmaster

Neither.

You need to have a work triangle between stove, refrigerator and sink, within about two steps. Linear layouts suck. Large spaces between sucks.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans
Neither.

You need to have a work triangle between stove, refrigerator and sink, within about two steps. Linear layouts suck. Large spaces between sucks.
Can that even be done given the layout of the room? Even if I start knocking down walls I don't think I could accomplish it.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #10

In option 2, I do not at all like the deep floor-to-ceiling cabinet to the right of the fridge, nor the base cabinet depth upper above the fridge. Those dwarf the normal depth uppers to the left of them (left, when looking at them). I would ditch that whole large cabinet and make the one above the fridge a normal upper.

Between the two, I prefer option 1, again, ditching the large cabinet. Extend the counter thru that space, and put a normal depth upper and lower there. You'll need that regular cabinet by the oven for your pots and pans.

I prefer the fridge placement in option 1, on the longer leg of the "L". This way ppl can comfortably access the fridge without getting in the way of someone cooking.

Do you have a pantry or closet? What's the little room in the floor plan? What's the long skinny room beside the kitchen?

I kinda like large range hoods. But only when they're somewhere more appropriate like a peninsula or an island. There, where that stovetop sits against a wall I'd just put cabinets and a microwave.

You seriously lack a food prep area. You've got the one nice countertop space by the dishwasher for putting dirty dishes or setting groceries, and then you've got the corner area where you'll keep spices, knife holder, and maybe a toaster oven... but you really need that extra counter space to the right of the oven by ditching the big cabinet.

That's my take. Of course I agree that the more detail you give about the whole house flow, the better. Draw in the stairs, doors, dining table, bathroom, etc.

One more thing... I like the highlight piece in the corner in option 1 better. The cab w the glass panels. It looks nice there. In option 2, which I'm sure you see and is just a sketchup thing... your highlight cabinets are 2x 12" on the right and what looks like 1x 18" on the left. Obviously they should match if you're gonna frame the window w decorative glass like that.
-mike

Last edited by SquishyBall; 03-22-2013 at 12:39 PM.
SquishyBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #11

More context to scale

Old 03-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #12

I agree, neither. There's no work triangle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchen_Work_Triangle

Knock down the wall in there and put the fridge where I've got an F on the attached image.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen Layout - What one is better?-i42hfh0kvorde.jpg  
Rewound98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #13

Overall, I like option 2 better, because it has more counterspace.
I agree with Joe, to get rid of the big hood over the range.
I agree with Blonde that the scale does not look quite right ---in option 1, the fridge looks rather short (don't limit yourself to shorty fridges). In option 2 the fridge looks pretty tall, and the cabinet above it is pretty useless since you need a stool to reach it.
Option 1 might be a little dark for my liking. Also those cabinets beside the fridge in option 1 look extra deep--going to hit your head on them (but that might be an optical illusion).
I think you need to refine those layouts a little. You might also want to try to lay it out with an island for more counterspace.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewound98
I agree, neither. There's no work triangle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchen_Work_Triangle

Knock down the wall in there and put the fridge where I've got an F on the attached image.
That would make it quite open concept, which I like.

What would you do with the S?
Old 03-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGA View Post
That would make it quite open concept, which I like.

What would you do with the S?
Sorry. That's where you had the stove.

This layout would give you an area to put an island also if you desired in the center.

Rewound98 is offline   Reply With Quote