DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

kitchen bar help

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  fqp25 
#1 ·
hi guys and gals . i need some help on the hieght of my bar im building in kitchen. im cutting wall out and opening it to livingroom.should it be same as cabinets in kitchen which is 36"? or should it be higher.any help is appreciated.

#4 · (Edited)
I asked quite a few people about how high to make the bar between the kitchen and the dining/living room area when my house was at the framing stage. Everyone told me the same thing...
FINISHED height - 42 inches
If your countertop is 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick, make sure to adjust your wall height.
Anyway, that's what I was told to do. (I'm not a construction person.)

Hey, I finally knew an answer to a question someone was asking. Too bad someone beat me to the answer. But, I'll throw in my two cents worth anyway and help confirm the answer to your question.

Good luck with the bar in the kitchen!

Edit added:
My parents have a cabinet height island/breakfast bar in the middle of their kitchen. They have short stools instead of the taller stools. Their island is large and also has a stove top on it.

#6 ·
Frame it so that the finished counter height will be 42 inches above the finished floor. This serves several useful purposes. First it helps hide any kitchen clutter when viewed from the non kitchen side. Second it
makes the counter functional as both a sitting and standing counter, and the taller height requires less knee space for sitting than lower heights, thus the overhang can be shallower.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.