Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2011, 03:27 AM   #1

Share |

Kitchen Back Door Won't Open. Any ideas?

Hello.

Four years ago I had a new double glazed PVC back door fitted in my kitchen. For a while now it has been tricky to lock - I have had to push the handle upwards enough to physically lift the door in order to turn the key to lock it.

Last week I tried to open the door but it appears to be stuck (or still locked) about a third of the way up from the bottom. The top seems to be ok.

My guess is that the door has sunk over time to a point now where it will not clear the lower catch (but that is just my guess).

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can get the door open? And if I can, how do I adjust the height of the door in the frame to stop this happening again?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Regards

Colin

crunchie1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:34 AM   #2
Experienced

Welcome Collin to the best DIY"r site on the web.

Sounds like so many doors this time of year, the house moves and a door that was close to fitting when hung now doesn't fit at all.

You said you have to raise at the handle to lock it, is it still locked?

If it is, I would suggest cutting a couple of 2 x 4's cut one to about a 1/2" longer than the measurement from the bottom of the door handle to the floor, this will be your fulcrum point, you could use the other half of this board as you lever and pry up on the handle, unlock the door, and if you are doing this from the outside, push the door open all in one swift motion.

Once open you are going to have to rehang the door, or, if the door is fine in the frame and its just the lock that doesn't mate to the striker plate then you will have to move the striker plate to match the lock bolt.

Mark

Old 02-12-2011, 07:27 AM   #3

Can't really remember, but is there an adjustment with the wheels that ride on a guide ridge in the bottom track. Maybe use a flat bar at bottom of door to raise it, so the door can be opened so you can see the screw head to make the door taller.
bernieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:52 AM   #4
Household Handyman

Are we talking about a passage/entrance type door here or a sliding door unit?
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:21 AM   #5

Thanks for all your responses.

I have turn the handle up to approx 1 o'clock in order to turn the key to lock it, but that has always been the case and is the same on alot of doors I think.

More recently I have also had to push up on the handle (once it is in the 1 o'clock position) which raises the door slightly and then I am able to turn the key to lock it.

I can still lock the door fine using this method, and can still unlock the door. But once the door is unlocked and I try to pull it open, most of the door will pull out slightly apart from the bottom. I suspect there is a latch about a third of the way up that is not releasing or the door has sunk so wont' clear that latch.

It is a standard swing inward door with the handle on the left hand side of the door (as you look from the inside).

Thanks in anticipation again.

Colin.
crunchie1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #6

Doors seldom quit working on their own. Is the foundation sinking?
Tigerloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchie1967 View Post
Thanks for all your responses.

I have turn the handle up to approx 1 o'clock in order to turn the key to lock it, but that has always been the case and is the same on alot of doors I think.

More recently I have also had to push up on the handle (once it is in the 1 o'clock position) which raises the door slightly and then I am able to turn the key to lock it.

I can still lock the door fine using this method, and can still unlock the door. But once the door is unlocked and I try to pull it open, most of the door will pull out slightly apart from the bottom. I suspect there is a latch about a third of the way up that is not releasing or the door has sunk so wont' clear that latch.

It is a standard swing inward door with the handle on the left hand side of the door (as you look from the inside).

Thanks in anticipation again.

Colin.
can you post a pic? Sounds like a muti point locking door. Adjusting strikes etc is not the way to fix this. You have to go to the root of the problem which is movement that is pushing the frame out of whack. I suggest you have a pro look at this and it shouldn't be someone who stands there and scratches his head. It could be a simple adjustment or it could be more. It's too difficult to give any ideas without seeing it.

mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, lock, open, pvc, stuck