Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2008, 06:45 AM   #1

Share |

Kitchen Addition

My wife and I are in the middle of a kitchen remodel and I have a couple of questions about lam beam installation/options.

We are installing two new beams to open our kitchen up. Approx will be 24x24 which will have a small hearth room area in this new arera.

One beam will hold the ceiling joists of the kitchen and one beam will hold the roof rafters.

The ceiling joist beam is no big deal however the roof beam is where we a running into questions. The new beam 5 1/4x 13 7/8 if installed under the top plates will push it below the ceiling line and be visible from below.

What options do I have to install this differently to keep it up in the attic above?

Please see attached pics
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen Addition-kitchen-remodel-attic-1.jpg   Kitchen Addition-kitchen-remodel-attic-2.jpg   Kitchen Addition-kitchen-remodel-below-3.jpg   Kitchen Addition-kitchen-remodel-below-4.jpg  

handyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:40 AM   #2

Kitchen Addition

My suggestion would be to explore the options of a different beam. Sometimes you can simply go with additional thickness and less depth, although it depends greatly upon the span and the imposed loads. Another option that is commonly used is to add 1/2" steel flitch plates bolted in the middle of the plies of LVL or on either side. Yet another option is a steel beam instead of an engineered wood beam.

Unfortunately, we can't size the beams for you, as it requires a thorough analysis of the structure and the imposed loads. My suggestion is to hire a structural engineer to come out and determine what will work best for you. Engineers usually charge between $300 and $500 for a one-time consultation and stamped prescriptive letter. You can call your local Homebuilders Association (HBA) and they often have engineers that are members that they can recommend.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote