Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Kids Fort/Playhouse..help please

Ok basically I want to build a 6'X6' fort/playhouse...slide, ladder, etc. My question is based on how to set the foundation and posts for this. I kind of like the idea of NOT burying the posts due to ground moisture, etc. The deck for this will be about 5 feet off the ground. This is not going to have to support a ton of weight, probably 4-5 small kids at a time maybe, but I will also be putting a roof on it. I basically want to use four 4X4 posts on the corners to a height of about 10'. My idea is this: I know that they make these pyramid shaped preformed concrete blocks that will accomodate a 4X4 post (does the post actually bolt to the block?). What if I get 4 of these, get them level and put my posts in them without actually digging down and pouring a footing? Like I said, I'm not sure if I should be overly concerned about settling or not, given the fact that it's not going to support much weight. To give the structure lateral support, I thought I would concrete a 4X4 post into the ground at each corner, leaving a foot or so sticking up, and then attach diagonal braces from these posts to the fort. Yeah I said I didn't want to bury posts, but if these did rot, they'd be simple to replace vs those of the actual fort. Thanks..

jod78 is offline   Reply With Quote