Kid's Fort - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2011, 09:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

kid's fort

my dad starting building a fort/playhouse for my kids in his backyard. it's an 8'x6' based "house". he dug holes (about 2' deep) and cemented 4x6" posts to put the floor on. he used 2x6's around the edges of the posts. he didn't think he needed a permit for the playhouse but now is concerned he might. what are his options? can he get a permit after starting? are they likely to say he needs different footers for the posts and make him take them out? what if he just finishes the whole thing and then they come in and say"you had no permit" what do they do then? anyone know answers to any of these questions?

Advertisement

jjjeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
I ask the impossible!

Rewards Points: 508

kid's fort

Depends on municipality, for example when I lived in Indianapolis no permit was required for out buildings under 100 square feet which this would be.

Advertisement

Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:36 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

kid's fort

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjeno View Post
my dad starting building a fort/playhouse for my kids in his backyard. it's an 8'x6' based "house". he dug holes (about 2' deep) and cemented 4x6" posts to put the floor on. he used 2x6's around the edges of the posts. he didn't think he needed a permit for the playhouse but now is concerned he might. what are his options? can he get a permit after starting? are they likely to say he needs different footers for the posts and make him take them out? what if he just finishes the whole thing and then they come in and say"you had no permit" what do they do then? anyone know answers to any of these questions?
The only people who know the answers are the local building dept. Regulations will vary place to place as will frost lines.
Contact them for your situation. You can always get a permit after the fact. Sometimes there's a penalty, but for a play house, I wouldn't think so.
You're basically building a shed.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

kid's fort

Just for fun, look up "Builder Boards". Like giant legos for building playhouses etc. You don't buy the boards, you make them.

Vince
Vincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

kid's fort

120 sq ft and under here require no permit - likely you have no need for a permit at 6x8, but check with your building department to be sure (they may have something on their/city web site as outbuildings and garden sheds are a common question they receive).
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

kid's fort

While they might not require permits, they might have setback rules. We can't put a shed within 5' of the property line.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote