Kerdi Shower Base - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2009, 08:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Kerdi shower base

I read in a post here that the Kerdi shower base is a "cut-to-fit item. I looked at the installation instructions on the Schluter web site and didn't see any mention of cut to fit. Did I miss something?

Advertisement

Old 11-03-2009, 04:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Kerdi shower base

The base can be modified, but you need to maintain the built in drainage slopes. You need to be a little more detailed as to the "missing" part.
You would get the base that was as close to your set up as possible.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:31 AM   #3

Kerdi shower base

When I said "missing", I just meant that I didn't see anything about it in the instructions. The shower stall in question is 35x46. I was wondering if I could cut down a 48x48 to fit.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:22 AM   #4

Kerdi shower base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe F View Post
When I said "missing", I just meant that I didn't see anything about it in the instructions. The shower stall in question is 35x46. I was wondering if I could cut down a 48x48 to fit.
You need to take into account the drain location for the best choice. They sell a centered drain and an off-centered drain. The finished drain assembly is uncomfortable to stand on, so I would recommend the off-centered drain. In that application, I would take off 1" on each side on the 46" sides and the 13" off the side far away from the drain. This way the slopes are maintained.
Ron
Old 11-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #5

Kerdi shower base

The shower is in a basement bathroom. The drain is in the slab and pretty much centered in the stall, so I doubt the off-center model would work for me.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:57 PM   #6

Kerdi shower base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe F View Post
The shower is in a basement bathroom. The drain is in the slab and pretty much centered in the stall, so I doubt the off-center model would work for me.
The kerdi drains need to connected to either PVC or ABS plumbing. You might have to open the floor in order to get the needed depth to connect it. The actual horizontal drain pipe would need to be deep enough to handle the drain and trap.
You can use the centered drain as long as it lines up with the current drain or you will need to move the floor drain. You have a limitation to adjustment with the 46" axis.
Ron

Advertisement