Keeping Dog From Digging Under Fence? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2010, 08:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Keeping Dog From Digging Under Fence?

What can we do to keep our dog from digging and getting under the fence? Our new fence is pretty secure everywhere but at the bottom.. how can we secure the fence to the ground so he can't get under it? We really need something very affordable to do.. it's probably 200 to 250 feet of fence. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this.. and i'm sorry if it isn't.. I thought I'd try it since I asked my other fence question here today.

Advertisement

mhp8982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

the most affordable method would be to string an electric fence wire near the bottom of the fence. I hate to do that. Most fences zap pretty hard.

other than that, about the only think I have found that is successful is to bury something so that if the dogs digs, they have to dig much deeper to get under whatever it is. many dogs will give up without digging too deep. If they do dig deep, your only option would be to put something even deeper to block them.

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #3

we are trying to put stakes in the ground to hold it... to see if that works.. but we are having trouble finding some that will work well. Someone said tent stakes work well.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhp8982 View Post
we are trying to put stakes in the ground to hold it... to see if that works.. but we are having trouble finding some that will work well. Someone said tent stakes work well.
if you have a metal fence, that should work well in holding it down. There are some with a notch in them intended to keep a rope from slipping off. It seems like that could fit over the fence wire and help secure it. If the dog doesn't dig, that might be all you need. If the dogs decides it's time to start digging, he will simply go under the fence.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

invisible fence. Dog wears a collar that zaps him if he crosses it. Other than that, get a cat, they're smarter!
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:01 PM   #6

You can do the following:
1) You can line the bottom of the fence with chicken wire that lays about 2 feet from the fence line this way your dog will be deterred by digging because of the feeling the chicken wire has on his paws and should stop his digging before any damage is done. Ensure that the sharp edges of the wire are facing the opposite side of the fence so your dog won’t hurt himself on the sharp edges.
2) You can also bury rocks along the baseline of the fence. The dog will give up quickly when he starts digging into the rocks.
3) Get your dog a dog house, yes you heard me a dog house. If the dog has someplace to go and be safe he will not dig and try to escape.
4) Also show your dog a lot of attention. Not showing your dog enough attention when outside will lead him in doing something like digging in order to get what he wants.
5) Get yourself some re-bar and pound them into the ground 2-3 feet every 4’’ +/- apart.
These are only a few but I’m sure there are a lot more things you can do to stop there digging.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:21 PM   #7

well.. we put a bunch of stakes down and where the holes were.. we just took a bunch of the gravel (we took out a pool and deck, so we had lots of pea gravel left from that) and we put it into the holes.. we will put dirt over it and just plant grass.. i think it should be good.

Someone else told me about the rebar? what exactly is that? It may be something to try if this doesn't work.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:29 PM   #8

Rebar is a reinforcement product that you put into concrete to give it strength. It has many uses and is relatively cheap to purchase. Here is a picture of what it looks like: http://www.123rf.com/photo_1908631_steel-rebar-rods-used-to-reinforce-concrete-forms.html
You can get rebar at most home improvement stores or a builder’s supply.

Advertisement

epson is offline   Reply With Quote