Keep Old Tall Baseboard Or Get New Shorter Ones? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2015, 02:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 328

Keep old tall baseboard or get new shorter ones?

I need to tear down a wall and this is the baseboard that comes with it. Should I save it or should I get the new smaller ones? Are there any advantages/disadvantages to the newer smaller baseboards?

Advertisement

ghary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,770

The decision is up to you. Personal preference. The issue is, will those baseboards come off in one piece? The older wood is nailed with 3" nails and very brittle.. Very hard to remove to salvage and re-install.

Advertisement

Ron6519 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:21 PM   #3

yes, it is in one piece, slightly less than 10 feet across.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 92

It is definitely personal preference. I have torn out plenty of it and reinstalled and as far as I am concerned it's pretty simple, just need to take your time removing it. Also depending on the age of the house the wood it's made out of can be valuable. If you lived in my town and didn't want it I would come remove it for you for free as long as I got to keep the material.
KC_Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KC_Jones For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (08-27-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 08:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Jones View Post
It is definitely personal preference. I have torn out plenty of it and reinstalled and as far as I am concerned it's pretty simple, just need to take your time removing it. Also depending on the age of the house the wood it's made out of can be valuable. If you lived in my town and didn't want it I would come remove it for you for free as long as I got to keep the material.
I don't understand, why would the wood might be valuable?
Old 08-28-2015, 09:23 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 92

It depends upon the age of the house. My house is over 100 years old and ALL the wood in it is old growth and for the sake of argument it's irreplaceable. The only way I am aware to get the old growth wood is through companies that reclaim the old lumber re-mill and then resell it back to people doing restorations or people that like the look of the old wood (yes old growth looks a lot different in some cases). If you ever price out what that wood is sold for you would realize how valuable it is. When I watch remodeling shows on TV and see them ripping out some of that stuff and throwing it away it almost brings a tear to my eye. I really laugh when I see people ripping floors out and putting down new floors. Essentially they rip out say a $10,000.00 floor and "upgrade" to a $3000.00 floor. It's a case of people don't know what they don't know.
KC_Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:32 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,961

I like the BB to be the same throughout the house. Chances are the plaster does not go down low enough to use modern base. They used to nail a 1x6 to the studs behind the base and plaster above that.

If you can find anyone selling that the price may shock you. If you can find a mill shop with the right blades the cost may amaze you. If they have to make the blades to mill it the cost will kill you.

It can be carefully removed, the nail pulled from the back side and reused with no problem. I have actually gone so far as to cut plugs to fit where an outlet used to be and won't be on a new install.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:43 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 654

I like the old base--do you know how much base that size would cost today? You're crazy to remove it. Most base being installed today is mdf or plastic--if you have base like that, keep it.

If you want a modern aesthetic, you don't install base at all. Modern isn't narrow base, it's no base. A truly modern look costs a lot of money because it relies on good craftsmanship--not on trim to cover mistakes. Builders use cheap base because the cost of being careful is greater.

Advertisement

keymaster is online now   Reply With Quote