Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2007, 05:54 PM   #1

Share |

Just a little intro.

Hello. I'm really not sure I'm going about this the right way at all. I'm trying to find tips, plans, and/or very detailed instructions on home improvement projects. We purchased the house just over a year ago and we're finally getting ourselves into a position to consider some remodeling. We're considering taking our oversized family room and splitting it in half to create a masterbed/bath suite. This of course involves installing a wall.

The family room is what we assume must have been a garage at one time. The floor is solid concrete slab covered by carpet. I'm trying to figure out how to anchor the frame to the floor, and then just exactly how to build the wall. I get the distinct impression I can't just start slapping 2x4's together in an already upright position. (Yeah, even I figured that one out.)

Does anybody have any tips, suggestions, or particular sites that would e most helpful? Anybody want to be a mentor? I'm really unafraid to try these projects on a diy basis, and I'm certain I'm capable of completing them correctly, just need a place to start. Little help?
Tiathny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:41 PM   #2

Just a little intro.

You have a lot to think about, especially with respect to plumbing for a room on a slab. Building the partition wall is pretty straight forward, you simply anchor it to the floor with concrete screws (Tapcon or the like) after pre-drilling the holes with a masonry bit. Any basic framing book will show how to erect walls. Also, I would recommend insulating the bathroom walls for sound. Plumbing the bath will be tricky, especially the shower drain, if you are not already backed up to another bath or kitchen. You may need to build up the floor or cut into the slab. A well thought out design will be the best starting place.

Good luck,

Steve
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote