Just Had New Home Built Need Advice Please! :) - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2008, 06:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Just had new home built need advice please! :)

So my wife and I had a $500,000 home built by a builder and they did some real shoddy finish work. When we had our walkthrough it took the entire time that we were alloted to point out all the things that we wanted fixed. Since then we have noticed many more things. The builder is terrible and will not take care of us on anything. The few small things they did try to fix they just made worse. I have filed a CCB complaint, but other than that I dont know what to do to get these guys to give us what we paid for. Our hosue is the most expensive on the block with the most upgrades so you would think they would take care of us.

Some of the major issues, but there are tons more are:
  • Crooked out of plumb ceilings
  • Stained Patio, when I tried to force the to fix it, they painted it.
  • Paid for finished garage, see picture for what I got.
  • Nail pops all over the place, very excessive
  • Cracked and flaking paint on archways
  • Stained driveway and sidewalk
  • Cracked garage floor
  • The list goes on and on.... I attached a few pics.

What do you guys think I should do? I was thinking maybe there is a consutant that looks at this stuff and suggests estimates to fix them the right way so I can submit to the CCB or my attorney.

Least to say, our dream home has been very dissapointing.

Thanks for any help!
Attached Thumbnails
Just had new home built need advice please! :)-warped-ceiling-wall-den.jpg   Just had new home built need advice please! :)-supposedly-finished-garage-1-.jpg   Just had new home built need advice please! :)-rear-patio-stains-since-we-did-our-walkthrough-far-view-.jpg   Just had new home built need advice please! :)-painted-patio-not-even-done-well.-drips-edges.jpg   Just had new home built need advice please! :)-excessive-nail-pops-loft.jpg  

Just had new home built need advice please! :)-mortar-gap-missing.-falling-off-garage-right-side.jpg  

Advertisement

CocDiezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

How did you select your builder? Did you research him and visit with homeowners of his homes to see how their experiences were? These are common issues, and a couple of them are indicative of just poor craftsmanship. I hear it all the time from folks who select their builder based on the house plan or the model home and not on the builder's record.

Whether or not they're issues he's obligated to fix depends on your contract and how it is written. I'm surprised that you had a time allowance on your walkthrough!

I certainly would not accept painted concrete. Heck no.

What is the CCB?

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:50 PM   #3

Thanks for the response. The CCB is the Construction Contrators Board.

Your right its poor craftsmanship. The sad thing is we would have been totally pleased if they took care of us on it, or did it right the first time.

I checked around and had heard they were good, but I guess I just didnt check throughly enough
Old 09-04-2008, 06:51 PM   #4

Personally, I'd pick my battles. Fight over the stuff that is important to you. Nicks in drywall and gaps at the stone can be fixed with 10 minutes of work and $10 in supplies. The hump in the ceiling and the painted concrete would be an issue for me.

As for cracking slabs, that's a tough one. All concrete cracks to some degree. Sometimes it is visible, sometimes not. Most builders have a crack clause in their contract that requires that the crack get to a certain width before they're liable.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:55 PM   #5

I 100% agree with you. They jsut add up and piss me off. But the painted patio and the crooked ceilings are the major ones. I thought they put gaps there to prevent it from cracking like that. In your opinion is that a good garage floor job?
Old 09-04-2008, 07:02 PM   #6

Which pic is of the garage floor? The one that shows just a little grass at the top? Not seeing it.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:08 PM   #7

Here you go....
Attached Thumbnails
Just had new home built need advice please! :)-garage-floor-cracks.jpg  
Old 09-04-2008, 07:14 PM   #8

Yeah, the guy sure isn't consciencious about using good subcontractors. The saw cuts in the slab are intended to force cracks at the location of the cut instead of elsewhere, so they're a good thing. The fact that the cuts don't line up is mostly aesthetics, but certainly wouldn't be acceptable to me if it were my house. I can see that there's a crack between the offset joints, but that is to be expected, unfortunately. I think you'd have a hard time getting anyone to find in your favor on this issue since the slab's integrity isn't necessarily bad. It just looks like crud.

Advertisement