DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Building & Construction (
-   -   Journeyman Electrician (

Lukata 11-16-2012 04:12 PM

Journeyman Electrician
Hello,I'm a journeyman electrician in the construction field. Received my license in 1988. Have a residential job where two 1 inch pipes are passing through a 9 x 1-3/4 floor joist. Of course I'm going to remove the electrical metallic tubing. Just wondering how the joist should be repaired. The inspector said replace the 12 foot length. is that correct.

joecaption 11-16-2012 04:20 PM

Replace the 12' lenght of what?

Lukata 11-17-2012 05:47 AM

Journeyman Electrician
The 12' foot floor joist.

oh'mike 11-17-2012 05:55 AM

How the joist is repaired depends a lot on where the damage is----sometimes the entire joist must be replaced-----We have several structural engineers here and some very experienced framers---

If you could post a picture some one will offer suggested remedies-----

However, If the inspector asked for a new joist---you may need a stamped engineers drawing to get approval for anything short of a new joist.

oh'mike 11-17-2012 06:11 AM

If no picture is available----at least let us know where the damage is located on the joist---and how large---

is the joist notched? Hole ? how big and where?

PaliBob 11-17-2012 09:17 AM

Welcome to the Forum
It is a good idea to include your location in your profile.
Here'show to Post pictures in the How To section.

To add your location to your profile see more How-To

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1