Joists - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Joists

We have an old Key West home (pier construction) with joists that are 2"X 5 1/4"(real size Dade pine)spaced about 24" apart.They are notched to fit the sills about 4 1/2 inches. I would like to add joists between them - they would be 1/2 the width of the house and rest on the center beam. However fitting anything with a 18 inch craw space is a problem without major surgery. I am wondering if I could use a kind of sandwich consisting of a 2x4 at the center and 1x6's on each side.

Any help would be appreciated
DSGG

Advertisement

dsgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 552
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Joists

It sounds like you are not replacing what is there which is a good start.
What ever you do to stiffen up the floor (which is what I assume you are trying to do) will probably not hurt but it may not be all that much help either.
You may want to think about adding some footing pads down the center of each side between the center cripple wall of yourt foundation and the perimeter walls. Then add posts and piers and some pressure treated 4x6 to act as intermediary beams...which they will be. Hmmm...could have said that better.

Andy.

Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 686

Joists

I agree with Andy but would use ganged up 2 X 6's instead. less likly to sag, curl or twist.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Joists

Thanks, center beam(not sure of exact terminology) is about 10' from each side.I couldn't get anything as long as the house in there but I guess shorter ones could meet over a pier.
dsgg is offline   Reply With Quote