Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction


Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-24-2007, 08:56 AM   #1
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10


I know absolutely nothing about anything when it comes to houses. One side of my house is bowing. Not too bad at the front or back end, mostly in the middle. A friend who looked at it said I have bad joists, and to get rid of the house. Is it possible for them to only be bad in one spot? I also need a new roof, and the base plate around basement floor is rotting also. I have no idea who to contact to do this kind of work (the joists), or how much it should cost. Any ideas? I live near Buffalo, NY

pcal5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:04 PM   #2
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000


It would really help if you could post photos of the problem.
Bowing refers to a vertical framing member, like a wall stud. Joists are horizontal, like floor and ceiling.
Which one do you mean?

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
garage ceiling joists josh123 Carpentry 6 07-15-2009 12:07 AM
Floor joists for 2nd Floor Addition poptop Building & Construction 4 01-11-2008 08:57 PM
3/4" hardwood, same direction as joists? zel Flooring 13 05-15-2007 09:50 PM
Gun Safe vs. Floor Joists allen1466 Building & Construction 9 03-03-2006 09:16 AM
Spacing of ceiling joists Pineconeman Building & Construction 3 05-14-2005 12:16 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.