Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Share |

Joist Hangers For Non-standard Joist Sizes

Hey all-

I am remodeling my home which was built in 1907. It is of balloon-frame construction and all of the wood is old-growth pine and oak (floor joists are full-span, wall studs are continuous from mudsill to roof plates!). The room that I am currently remodeling appears to be a porch that was enclosed sometime in history and the floor has a significant pitch toward the rear exterior wall which was likely done for drainage.

I need to level the floor and upon removing the finish floor and (plank) subfloor, I found that the original builder installed headers on each wall that are pitched downward. In order to fix this condition, it appears that the headers can be leveled and the joists can be reattached to create a level floor. I'd like to use joist hangers for reattaching the joists but from previous experience, the existing lumber is too large. That is, when I measure the typical thickness of any existing stud, joist, header, etc., the wood measures 1-5/8" +/-. Therein, the standard hangers that you buy are too narrow for the wood. Are there hangers out there are wider than typical? If not, any advice?

Thanks in advance,
Jimmy
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves,"You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin
BigJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #2

I know that they do make hangers for rough sawn lumber that will provide for joists a full 2" in width. check with your local lumber yard.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #3

Since it is a porch, and there is nothing underneath, can you put a ledger under the joists?
It's best to find the right part, but if not, or costs are high, you can nail the joists first, then use the double hanger for the extra support and fill in the space with ply shims.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #4
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpdad View Post
Since it is a porch, and there is nothing underneath, can you put a ledger under the joists?
It's best to find the right part, but if not, or costs are high, you can nail the joists first, then use the double hanger for the extra support and fill in the space with ply shims.
Thanks for your response. It used to be a porch at one time, probably when the house was built. Then sometime later, someone decided that they'd rather have this space as part of the living area. At that point, they added windows and plastered the interior walls, fully enclosing the area and making it part of the rest of the living space. This all happened long before we came along and bought it!

I am a bit confused by the mention of a double-hanger. Of course this would accommodate the additional thickness but we are only talking about an extra 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch over modern SPF lumber. If I tried using a double joist hanger (with A LOT of shims), the nails from one side would not penetrate the structural member.

Apologies in advance and perhaps I am just not understanding you but I am a bit confused. Any clarifications are sincerely welcome!

Thanks,
Jimmy
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves,"You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin
Old 04-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
DIY staff

Find a metal fabricator or welding shop and have them made----even an ornamental iron works can do that for you----
Old 04-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #6

Oops, I assumed the joists were true 2" thick. For 1/16, you can, well, just jam it in. Distortions in the hanger can be beat into tight contact with the lumber. Any thicker, you can trim the thickness with a block plane or slice off with a chisel.
With a double hanger, I meant that nailing the joists first will keep them from twisting or pulling out, so the hangers would be for vertical support only.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #7

I'm not promoting Simpson products I just happen to find this link of what I was saying about rough sawn lumber hangers that provides 2" width

http://www.strongtie.com/products/co..._rough-df.asp#

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #8
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
I'm not promoting Simpson products I just happen to find this link of what I was saying about rough sawn lumber hangers that provides 2" width

http://www.strongtie.com/products/co..._rough-df.asp#
Thanks, Gary! I had gone through the Simpson catalog myself and couldn't find anything to address my need. I appreciate your input, nonetheless!

Thanks,
J