Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2010, 11:06 PM   #1
Ed

Rewards Points: 25

joist hanger nail size--confused

nailing floor joists into LVL beam. this is a beam we are inserting into ceiling between kitchen and dining room that is replacing a wall. engineer drew everything up but didnt include the nail size for joist hangers. everyone, including national lumber pro desk is telling me that 10d simpson stron tie nails (1.5 inch) are what i should use....they just seem short...any opinions.

edfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:28 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

better phone the Engineer.
1.5 inch joist hanger nails are okay to use un-spec'd into single 2 by material like a rim joist, but sometimes the loads on the hangers need different fasteners.
Are all the hangers singles? or are there any doubles?

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:17 AM   #3
Ed

all singles
Old 02-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

some joist hangers have an angled hole from the joist to the ledger that should be longer i belive,not sure if its a 10 or a 16 tho sorry
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:42 AM   #5

Tom Struble hinted to a very important factor. The majority of face mount joist hangers these days are called "double shear" joist hangers. They involve some angled toenails that are driven into the carried joist diagonally and into the beam. It is absolutely critical that a full length nail, and not a 1-1/2" nail, be used in this application. The shorter nail doesn't adequately penetrate the header, and using it greatly de-rates the load carrying capacity of the hanger.

The main application of the 1-1/2" nails is on the type of hangers that involve nail holes that allow a nail to be driven perpendicular through the side of the hanger into the joist. Face nails should be full length nails clinched over in most framing situations, unless you're dealing with an appearance issue like you would be on a deck. Both Simpson and USP make it very clear that the short nails shouldn't be substituted in for longer nails, and both give de-rating factors for the load carrying capacity of their hangers if the wrong nails are used....Here... http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/nails.asp

Don't trust the lumberyard. The odds are that they're misleading you. Odds are that you're required to use a full-length 10 common nail in those hangers, but it does depend on the hanger. You can look up the specific specs for the specific hanger you have online at the manufacturer's website.

www.uspconnectors.com is USP's website
www.strongtie.com is Simpson's website
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,120

Good post KC. Only thing I would add is if you are using Simpson hangars, you must use Simpson nails if you want to retain the Simpson warranty, NOT standard framing nails. Simpson uses galvanized nails, and based on the box of Simpson nails I have in the basement, I think they are slightly different diameter than standard framing nails.

Simpson has an outstanding PDF file available on their website which includes details for every one of their products, including the specific Simpson nail required for warrantied installation, and if you are still confused, I agree with previous post, call the engineer.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
Simpson uses galvanized nails, and based on the box of Simpson nails I have in the basement, I think they are slightly different diameter than standard framing nails.
They're hot-dipped galvanized nails so they can be used in treated framing lumber. The thicker diameter is because they're common nails, not the standard box nails which are thinner. Using a box nail reduces the listed load carrying capacity.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:04 AM   #8
Ed

correct..these are the simpson hangers and the simpson 1.5 hot dipped galvanize nails...thick ones.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #9
Ed

ok. looks like 16 common is called for in the type of joist i am using for the double shear angled nails. i guess it wouldnt hurt to do the simpson 16 common for the face nails as well.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #10

Usually only the 10d fit thru the holes on the simpson hangers
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #11
General Contractor

Take your hanger model number and look it up in the Simpson wood connector catalog (available from Simpson Strong Tie company). You will find the load values and fastener types required for the hanger(s) you are using listed there. If a specific hanger model was not specified then you will have to use the loads calculated by the engineer and match them to a hanger.
ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:28 PM   #12
dIYHell

Rewards Points: 150

I had same issue and finally found answers on Simpsons sites noted above as well. Also if your going to be installing a lot of joists I recommend getting yourself a neumatic Palm hammer, they are relatively inexpensive and a great time saver. I think they are right about simpons nails being bigger, the head of Simpsons 16D nails didn't fit in my Palm Hammer where other manufacturers did?
rocketdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:23 PM   #13
Ed

gave the engineer a call back and figured it out. decided to go with lvl beams and insert them into the ceiling. joist hangers with 1.5 inch nails nailed into the joist and 3 inch into the beam...
Old 03-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #14
Ed

anyone reccomend a good palm nailer. after hand nailing approx 250 nails yesterday inside the ceiling over my head, my hands are junk. i have a few tight spots that i cant hammer and would need some sort of palm nailer etc to get in there.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #15

Bostich makes a good one.

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote