DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Joist cutting for recessed beam

13K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  ojee001 
#1 ·
I am in the process of removing a load bearing wall and have engineered drawings for my project. The house is fairly recent 1990 construction, basement, first (ground) and second floor. The mod is on the first floor and I was wondering what is the best way to cut the 2x10 joists all the way to the 2nd floor subfloor. A circular saw first followed by a jigsaw will leave me with an 1.5'' left to cut, if I use the reciprocating saw for that final 1.5" I am not guaranteed a good cut, I need 1/8" between the beam and the joist for the joist hanger installation. I was wondering is there a way to have a good clean precise cut all the way to the top?

thanks!

#4 ·
I thought of that I will have to see if there is enough space given that my joists are 12" o.c, but this type of installation must be done quite often there must be a more efficient way, in my case I have about 40 to do...it's not that I am lazy or anything not quite sure the saw will work in such a tight space/awkward working position

#6 ·
I will definetely give the hand saw an honest effort, however has anyone done this type of installation, surely I am not the first to remove a load bearing wall and recess the support beam...anyone have another alternative to the hand saw?

thank you all for the inputs!

#9 ·
For anyone interested I found the most precise way to get the job done was with a tool exactly like the one Fein makes but a lot les expensive by King. Bosch and Dremmel also make one, I did not think the oscillating action couples with those blades would cut through my joists but it did quite easily and gave me quite a precise cut!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.