Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #1

Share |

Joining new weeping tile to old

Hi,

I am going to be replacing the weeping tile around my house. I haven't dug it up yet.

One of the things I am concerned about is how to join the new polyethelene weeping tile to the old service. I'm assuming the old service is cast iron.

Would it be OK to simply slide it over top and concrete around it, or are there special couplings made for this sort of thing ?

Thanks

Mike Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Slipping it over and then pulling the fabric over is how it is done. Just make sure that you cover the tile over with rock on top of the fabric sock that goes over the drain tile. You can get the plastic tile with the sock already on it. Also, depending on how far you are digging, anything over 4 feet, you should use 1/2 ply 4x8 sheets to hold the earth while working around the foundation.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Mike Mike (06-17-2011)
Old 01-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #3

For anyone researching this, it turns out that you can use regular PVC to PVC to join PVC to clay. The inside diameters of the two are basically the same. ( You will need to cut off the plastic clips. You'll see what I mean when you go to do it. )
Old 01-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

I have never seen cast iron weeping tile. By the words weeping tile I assume you are referring to a perimeter drain with perforated pipe. It would be an enormous amount of work to drill holes in cast iron, and I have never seen it come pre-perforated. Just out of curiosity, why are you replacing the tile line?
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #5

What I meant was that I assumed the storm sewer service from the street was cast iron. Turns out there was no storm sewer service from the street at all.

In the end, I needed to find a way to hook up the new pvc drainage tile to old clay tile. That is what I meant in my last post.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:53 PM   #6

cast iron ? maybe IF the installer or h/o owned a iron furnace,,, more'n likely it may be orangeburg ( orange clay pipe ),,, we use 4" hdpe ADS pipe sold by the apron/vest/plumbing stores - cheap, flexible, & lasts forever ,,, do NOT make the mistake of using the cloth ' sock ' as that will allow silt too close to the pipe,,, we line a 1'x1' excavation w/filter cloth, install some bedding stone ( # 57 ), place the pipe, & cover w/more 57 stone,,, then the filter cloth is folder over the top & the excavation filled in compacted ' lifts ',,, IF you need to splice, use the 4" pcs avail from your pipe source - black is cheaper & lasts just as long.

we're doing 1 tomorrow & incorporating an exterior sump & pump - this will be a 50' system 4' deep so we'll be done in a day,,, YOU have to consider drainage / discharge,,, IF your system does NOT drain to daylight ( gravity ), you'll also need a pump,,, natl elec code requires a gfci protected dedicated circuit.

good luck !

ps - i'e done this work for almost 40yrs - how do you define ' weeping tile ' & what is it - pvc, hdpe, clay ? thanks !

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to itsreallyconc For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (01-25-2012)
Old 01-26-2012, 06:33 AM   #7

The new weeping tile can be joined to the old in any fashion. The joint does not have to be watertight.

ONe disadvantage of "socks" is that they may cling to the pipe and only the 1/2 inch or so diameter patch just over each perforation in the pipe conducts water. This slows down the capture and conducting of water over to the sump pump pit or final exit to the outside. This is also more sensitive to clogging with silt.

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-26-2012 at 06:36 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote