Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2007, 04:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

join plywood to drywall

Here's one for rockers out there: Given the differences in absorption and expansion/contraction, is it possible to join plywood and drywall on a wall without any problems (other than normal) if proper priming and taping techniques are used; and if so what are these techniques?

Big Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:51 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

join plywood to drywall

Like any lumber, as long as the plywood isn't damp, there shouldn't be any problems. We've done it many times on a home's addition walls (S/R onto OSB).

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:49 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

join plywood to drywall

It's a piece of cake. Tape as normal, using paper tape, when you tape, make sure you have wet mud as the plywood will suck up the moisture a bit quicker than DW, make sure the tape is embedded properly. I would encourage you to skim coat the plywood during one of the topping layers. Sand as though it were drywall, prime when you prime the drywall, and texture when you do the drywall. If you do it right, it won't look one bit different than drywall.

For those that may not see the application for this, how about basement steps that turn at the bottom. How many kids run down the stairs and either run into the wall or it's a favorite place to toss a ball or play. Or when moving stuff up or down the stairs, the DW gets a hole poked in it accidentally? With plywood, the landing area can take the abuse. I've done this on 3 different houses, and if the next house needs it, it'll get it.
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

join plywood to drywall

As was stated .... tape and finish just like anyother drywall application...it will be fine. Skim the whole area of the plywood. I have done this many times. No worries..
localtradesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:24 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

join plywood to drywall

I thought the OP was referring to installing sheetrock "over" OSB.

The two can be combined....but why not rip the OSB off and install S/R?

??
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:50 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

join plywood to drywall

I "thought" he's was talking about butting it up edge to edge....but dunno. Big Jim -- what say you?
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:55 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

join plywood to drywall

Sorry for the late reply; I've been out of town. The application was edge-to-edge, as described in the stairwell example.

Big Jim is offline   Reply With Quote