Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #1

Share |

Jetty/Deck/Pontoon over water in Austalia - construction help needed

Hi everyone,

I am from South Australia and have a property up on the murray river - and am new to these forums!

We have a jetty that was built around a willow tree back in the 90s. During a drought over the last 5 years, the tree naturally inch by inch moved towards the water as the river was very low, and over about 2 years it completely destroyed the jetty and decking.

I have now had the tree removed, and essentially need to start building it from scratch. The only good news is that the supporting beams (pencil posts) are 9 metres long and were professionally installed, so they haven't moved a single bit.

Essentially apart from the posts, i will need to rebuild the thing from scratch. I guess I have come here to see if anyone has any tips or methods and knows what I essentially need to do to reconstruct it in a similar, sturdy way.

The before picture shows what it looked like (albeit the river was already low at this stage), and the after picture was taken recently but it was the opposite, with light flooding. Now that the water has returned to a normal height (aside from the 2 months of the winter that it floods) - I am in the right position to rebuild it now. So the after picture is a bit hard to see the existing structure - but you can see the damage that the tree did on its way down!

Any help is hugely appreciated.

Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Jetty/Deck/Pontoon over water in Austalia - construction help needed-jetty.jpg   Jetty/Deck/Pontoon over water in Austalia - construction help needed-jetty-after.jpg  
aussienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #2

is enough of it still remaining that you can check the size of the framing members and the spacing of the floor joists?

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
is enough of it still remaining that you can check the size of the framing members and the spacing of the floor joists?
Yeah actually the whole thing is still in tact, it is just very warped. A lot of the cross beams have broken or warped and all of the upper deck is in need of replacement.

Are you getting at the fact that it might be best to just start dismantling it, buy new timber and put it back together?
aussienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:59 AM   #4

that's what I would do ..... replace that which is damaged

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:28 AM   #5

I have to ask why is there a post in middle of what appears to be boat launch ramp? Makes it very hard to launch a boat.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:46 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
I have to ask why is there a post in middle of what appears to be boat launch ramp? Makes it very hard to launch a boat.
It is to keep people from driving down it, destroying the ramp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #7

Since your having to deal with changing water levels I'd be concidering a floating dock.

No reason why you could not use the piers you have now to keep the new dock in place with for the lack of a better term metal hoops around the post that are loose enough to allow the dock to move up and down.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:05 AM   #8

http://www.dockbuilders.com/floating-dock-hardware.htm
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote