Jazzing Up Ceilings - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2010, 10:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 101

Jazzing up ceilings

Having recently purchased a home that were rehabbing, I find that the one thing which really gets me wondering regarding how to change things are the ceilings in the house.

We looked at a number of houses while searching for a new place to call home, and of all of them the one we eventually bought was probably the most drab in design. What it really had going for it though was a killer location, block size (a nicely wooded acre) and potential. A great price also helped! Slowly but surely Im effecting the changes I want that will make the house look more open and modern in layout, but I keep coming back to musing about what I could possibly do to get away from the flat and standard 8 high ceilings were stuck with, especially after some of the nicer home designs we passed over that had nicer lines and angles inside.

Problem is, what can I do to a houses ceiling that has stock standard W trusses running across the top of the house? Ive seen the odd design changes in books and magazines where the trusses have been exposed and left largely unchanged, right down to the galvanized nail-plates being left unfinished, but Im not sure if thats my cup of tea. Im not sure if one can change the configuration of the trusses to open up or raise the ceiling without some major engineering work, so all I can think of is to use the 2 gaps between the trusses for some sort of effect some angled cavities that follow the roof line across part of the ceiling, something like that. We also have a sunken formal area 20 x 15 with an 86 ceiling, so perhaps in that area I could do the reverse and install some kind of soffit round the perimeter that would give the effect of a raised ceiling in the center? Or put something in the center of the ceiling?

Does anyone have any experience or ideas on the matter that they could pass on? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

PS Could anyone tell me what the minimum height is for a ceiling in Florida according to local code?

Advertisement

timbo59 is offline   Reply With Quote