Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Jacuzzi Whirlpool bath floor construction

I am installing a Jacuzzi Whirlpool corner bath. It is about 60"x60" and according to the documentation, filled can be 984lbs or 39lb/sqft. How do I provide the support required for this weight. How should the floor be constructed?

Thanks
Mike

eemc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:21 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

you will need to supply more info like where it will be at 1st floor second ? what do you have to start with concret slab or wood floor joists? Your question is pretty broad with out a few details

clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:20 AM   #3

My apologies, I should have provided more information.

It is a second floor bathroom. I am completely gutting it, including the subfloor. I have 2"x8" joists, 16" OC. I am not sure of the unsupported span yet, I have to check, however there is a room directly below and I believe the tub is partially over a corner of the room, so there should be some support from two walls below on the first floor. The joists, are probably regular pine (not I-joists).

HTH

Thanks
Mike
Old 02-02-2010, 08:31 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Look, it's quite possible that some engineer would come in, do the load math and find that your joists are just fine the way they are... on the other hand, since your almost there anyway, why not play it cool and sister the joists while you have access to them? It may just be wht the engineering studies will tell you in any case...

I may be wrong and your particular floor the exception to the rule, but we normally sister joists just for new stone tiles on the floor, let alone a whirlpool tub. What's a few joists, two guys and a few hours?

Beer's optional.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #5

Forgive my ignorance, but by 'sister' I assume you mean just double up perhaps supported on ends by blocking extending under the tub? I plan on possibly laying about 1 1/8" of plywood on the floor as well. Are nails good enough for the sistering or should I be using screws to double them up?
Old 02-02-2010, 10:43 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

unless the walls under the 2x8 are structural/bearing they do not count as helping in load transfer. i think depending on span 2x8 is undersize for load. you need someone to put an eye on it to be safe and not have tub end up on first floor
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:14 AM   #7

Thanks for the responses.

How far would I have to extend sistered joists to make them beneficial? Could I just sister directly under the tub? I could possibly sister some 2x12's, thus raising the tub a few inches but there would be 2x12's for support?

Thanks
Mike

Tags
whirlpool install