Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2009, 08:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Jacuzzi tub access panel

I renovated my bathroom 3 years ago, no permits!

I did everything to code meticulously but I did not put in an access panel for the tub motor.

I tiled the surround and could not find anything satisfactroy at the time of construction.

I would not have just closed it had my wife not suggest an access from the bedroom side which was less invasive.

I left that for a future date if there was any issue with the motor or we decided to put our house up for sale.

Well, recently the seal around the tub popped. ( I'm pissed at myself because the damn plumbers never put the ledger in I CUT FOR THEM and explained how I wanted it done. When I saw the ledger not in place and the tub all plumbed up I should have refused to pay unless the tub removed and ledger put in but bla, bla I payed ) The tub has no lip going up behind the tile so if the seal goes you have a leak, so I cut out some drywall from the bedroom side to inspect it.

Everything looks great! No signs of water over the years anywhere.

Before I drywall I want to build my access panel!

What is the code compliance for an access panel and any suggestions on what type to build?

I thought of something easy like a removable vent type but not sure I like this.

I could build a door that hinges open and just build around the openeing with 1/2 wood blended from the drywall for a clean gap around the door and maybe even build a trim around the door so you don't see the gap.

Or I could jsu build a removable panel!

One that just pushes into a framed box or is on springs and closes onto magents?

any suggestions are welcome!

I have a good 15" X 21" for the opening, no more!!!

The pic is from the inside obviously.
Attached Thumbnails
Jacuzzi tub access panel-bathroom-bedroom-reno._001.jpg  

Last edited by 295yards; 12-21-2009 at 08:56 AM.
295yards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #2

Jacuzzi tub access panel

Why don't you put in one of these:
http://www.google.com/products/catal...749&sa=title#p

They come in different sizes, are relatively inexpensive, available at your big box stores, and easy to install. You can paint or wallpaper over them.

Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:35 PM   #3
Household Handyman

Jacuzzi tub access panel

Er, Uh, "295yards"---Is that you're rubber ducky in the tub, or the grandkids?
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
RvrBoatVet

Jacuzzi tub access panel

In the bathrooms I use to renovate to accommodate tubs with pumps I would frame in a box hole the size of "x" number of tiles (for instance 3 eight inch tiles wide by 2 1/2 (whatever your standard tile height and width turns out to be so the cut out door size is app 24" x 18"). Cut the hardy board or green rock to this size so that when necessary the grout line can be scraped out revealing the cut out line in the hardy board or green rock below. Use 2 or 3 ten penny finishing nails tacked in 3/8" or less on each side of frame to hold in the sandwich square of tile on hardy board or green rock. If the electricity has to be accessed remove the grout, and knock out the square with your hand. Of course the electricity would be a single ground fault switched line to the main panel so electric supply for the pump could be controlled from there. Never got a single knock from the city or county inspectors. The access hole should always be on the head end of tub where the pump and switch is normally located. I also never had the hole accidently knocked out by the bather. Surprisingly the grout lines holding the square in place will be very strong.
Most of the women I did the work for would have shot me on the spot had I even hinted at an ugly vent or plastic door.
tedmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:34 PM   #5

Jacuzzi tub access panel

usually the pumps are at the end of the tub. Is that a outside wall there?. If not Put an access panel on the other side of the wall which is hopefully a closet , or bed room.
havcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:10 PM   #6

Jacuzzi tub access panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 295yards View Post
I would not have just closed it had my wife not suggest an access from the bedroom side which was less invasive.

The tub has no lip going up behind the tile so if the seal goes you have a leak, so I cut out some drywall from the bedroom side to inspect it.

Before I drywall I want to build my access panel!
I thought of something easy like a removable vent type but not sure I like this.

I could build a door that hinges open and just build around the opening with 1/2 wood blended from the drywall for a clean gap around the door and maybe even build a trim around the door so you don't see the gap.

Or I could just build a removable panel!

One that just pushes into a framed box or is on springs and closes onto magents?
I have a good 15" X 21" for the opening, no more!!!
Will the removeable panel be viewable from the bedroom ?
I would not go with a vent, the noise will come right into the bedroom from the bathroom
I'd go with sheetrock w/edges trimmed like a picture - match trim in the room
If plainly visible paint it all the same color as the wall
If you don't have the wall color paint it all to match the trim in the room
Magnets are good, but too strong & pain to pull the panel off
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:11 AM   #7

Jacuzzi tub access panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Er, Uh, "295yards"---Is that you're rubber ducky in the tub, or the grandkids?
Yeah, the rubber ducky is mine!

thank god he never noticed the pink tea cup
Old 12-22-2009, 05:30 AM   #8

Jacuzzi tub access panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmc View Post
Most of the women I did the work for would have shot me on the spot had I even hinted at an ugly vent or plastic door.
Oh no! My tile work and remodel may not be a Picaso but give me some credit! A plastic access on the tile work? I would never ruin my hard work like that, thats foolish.

I considered building a removable tile access panel but had no idea it was acceptable to grout the box in and that it would still be considered removable.

By remembering where the access is, sawing it out, and having to match and blend your work afterwards wouldn't everything be considered removable?

At the time I was doing the bathroom it was fast becoming too much work to find something pleasing to the eye. With the issue of no grout and water and even finding the right spring clips and magnets,,, when the wife said what about an access panel from the bedroom side, it was close her in man. DONE!

The access panel will be put in from the bedroom side, and it WILL be done asthetically pleasing!
Old 12-22-2009, 05:33 AM   #9

Jacuzzi tub access panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by havcel View Post
usually the pumps are at the end of the tub. Is that a outside wall there?. If not Put an access panel on the other side of the wall which is hopefully a closet , or bed room.

Firehawkmph gave me a link to some great access panels, yes bedroom side!

I checked my local store and they have what I want in stock. It is paintable, code conforming and virtually not that noticeable.

I am extremely excite to close her in and paint
Old 12-22-2009, 05:41 AM   #10

Jacuzzi tub access panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Will the removeable panel be viewable from the bedroom ?
I would not go with a vent, the noise will come right into thebedroom from the bathroom
I'd go with sheetrock w/edges trimmed like a picture - matcxh trim in the room
If plainly visible paint it alll the same color as the wall
If you don't have the wall color paint it all to match the trim in the room
Magnets are good, but too strong & pain to pull the panel off
Yes, the panel is viewable from the bedroom.

I considered the noise and you are right. It would be way too loud.

I like your idea of triming out the sheetrock. Thats what I was considering initially, but wasn't sure I wanted to see a square trim box in the corner of the bedroom.

I decided I was going to build the opening of the access door and panel with wood so I'd have very clean precise edges and spacing between the gaps without trimming it out, but now that I find a nice paintable access panel for $20.00 my job got easier!!!
Old 12-22-2009, 05:46 AM   #11

Jacuzzi tub access panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Why don't you put in one of these:
http://www.google.com/products/catal...749&sa=title#p

They come in different sizes, are relatively inexpensive, available at your big box stores, and easy to install. You can paint or wallpaper over them.

Mike Hawkins
That is absolutely perfect!!!

I'm going to the store early today and getting the one with drywall beads as the edging. After I am done with it all you'll see is a 1/16th" gap around the access.

And for just over $20.00, I feel like I owe ya. You are the man!