Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2007, 08:40 PM   #1
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,018

Jack Studs

I'm going to install a 4x10 header for a 66" RO (entryway door). I need to remove two studs to expand the current opening.

Centering the new door between the remaining studs leaves me with 2 1/2" on one side and 4 1/2" on the other.

I would have liked to support the header with at least 2-2x4s on each side but with only 2.5" on the short side I would need to either:
- move the existing stud over to make more room
- plane one of the 2x4s down to 1"
- make sure that the stud is as plumb as it can possibly be and push the door right up on the stud.

Do I need two full 2x4 jack studs to support the header?

Old 09-04-2007, 11:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Jack Studs

If you want 2-2x4's under each side, do it. Rework the R.O. so you can. I don't think you need to for 66". I would add blocking under the subfloor so the load is transferred directly to the sill plate and foundation. Unless you're on a slab.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:13 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Jack Studs

Center it perfectly. You sound like my wife. Do you really think you will notice a whole 1/2 inch off perfect center. Trust me you will not notice ( O.K. if you notice no one else on the planet will).
warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:35 AM   #4
I have gas!

Jack Studs

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnerww View Post
Center it perfectly. You sound like my wife. Do you really think you will notice a whole 1/2 inch off perfect center. Trust me you will not notice ( O.K. if you notice no one else on the planet will).
You're probably right, our current door is 3/4" off center and I didn't notice until now. I am my own worst critic though.

I don't want make extra work for myself so if I don't need to move that stud, I don't want to. There's blocking in the stud bay that would need to be trimmed back so it's not as simple as just knocking out the top and bottom and adding a new stud.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:30 AM   #5
I have gas!

Jack Studs

I guess I only need 1 jack stud per side to support the header. I don't know how I got into my head that I needed 2 per side.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:03 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Jack Studs

One on each side is enough. Centering it would be more work but if it is that important to you then have at it. Most people ( I believe ) would not worry about it.
warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:28 PM   #7
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Jack Studs

One jack per side will do for support. I would only worry about the perfect centering if the width of the door fits very closely between walls. If so the uneven reveal between the door trim and the adjacent walls, or the possibility that the trim on one side may have to ripped will be pretty obvious. If there is at least a foot to any adjacent walls, this slight off enter position will never be noticed by the average person. But once you have the header supported with a jack under each end, you can use any thickness "fillers" you want to position the door, they do not have to be symmetrical. Remember, this is a "rough" opening, you want to have at least 1/2" of space on each side of the door unit for squaring it in the hole.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 09-05-2007 at 09:34 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:10 AM   #8
I have gas!

Jack Studs

Thanks everyone.
I was concerned about centering the door in the portico. 2 studs would have pushed it 1/2" over to one side, 1 stud is no problem.