Jack Post Spacing In Basement - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Jack post spacing in basement

Hello, new dude here.. I love the site so far, been checking it out.. Had to join ! ok, first question.... In my basement I have a Steel I beam spanning my entire basement . I have a total of 2 posts comming from the floor to the I beam. I believe they are called jack posts. My question is I want to move 1 of them approximently 4' over, what is the maximum length I can space from the wall to the first jack post? Right now it's about 12' from the basement wall, I want to move it over so it would be 16-17' from the basement wall. Does anyone think there will be an issue with the structural support by moving it just 4'? Right now you can actually move the "jack post" a little because it doesn't have the full load of the I beam on it. The jack post I'm referring to is not a adjustable one. It is cemented in the bottom and attached to the I beam. I want to buy a new jack post, and then jack it so that it is snug with the I beam, but 4 feet farther . Has anyone done this without an issue ? I don't want to have my living room cave in because of 4'. Thanks so much.. Hope to hear from everyone... Mjclemm..

Advertisement

Mjclemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,464

You can't. Find another solution, by designing around it. If the architect who designed the home, wanted only one post or none at all, they would have spec'd the beam out to be larger in size.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,032

No one of this forum can give you an answer that will be yes without a lot more information. information such as

the type of steel beam, is it an S, W or other shape? what is the dimension and weight of the beam? what are the imposed loads? 1 story, 2 story, 3 story, etc.

your best bet and some of the best money you'd ever spend is to see a structural engineer and have him evaluate your situation, based upon facts they can measure and observe for themselves. Probably would only cost you a few hundred dollars for an evaluation. There are way too many factors for anyone online to answer the question properly. You want more of an answer than merely YES or NO. You could flip a coin for those type answers.

Just ask yourself this question, if someone did reply, "Hey MJ, not a problem dude, your steel beam is more than strong enough, move away!" would you move the column? You may later find out why they said "move away!" because you suffered a structure failure and have to move away .... You want to base your decisions upon an opinion that is based in knowledge and experience, one that can be held accountable in case of any issues.

Remember you get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!

Good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"

Last edited by GBrackins; 07-06-2012 at 08:46 PM.
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
No one of this forum can give you an answer that will be yes without a lot more information. information such as

the type of steel beam, is it an S, W or other shape? what is the dimension and weight of the beam? what are the imposed loads? 1 story, 2 story, 3 story, etc.

your best bet and some of the best money you'd ever spend is to see a structural engineer and have him evaluate your situation, based upon facts they can measure and observe for themselves. Probably would only cost you a few hundred dollars for an evaluation. There are way too many factors for anyone online to answer the question properly. You want more of an answer than merely YES or NO. You could flip a coin for those type answers.

Just ask yourself this question, if someone did reply, "Hey MJ, not a problem dude, your steel beam is more than strong enough, move away!" would you move the column? You may later find out why they said "move away!" because you suffered a structure failure and have to move away .... You want to base your decisions upon an opinion that is based in knowledge and experience, one that can be held accountable in case of any issues.

Remember you get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!

Good luck!

Yea I can see both of your points. I think I'll do just that , I will get a hold of the structural engineer and find out what I can do your right it's the best thing I can do and if it's only a couple hundred bucks it's well worth it thanks a lot man. I guess in hindsight it's a pretty stupid question LOL. Mjclemmer
Old 07-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 610

Even if he says you can move it your still facing have to cut out the floor and poring a new footing for it.
A slab is not meant to support a support post. It will just crack and sag.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:45 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjclemm View Post
Yea I can see both of your points. I think I'll do just that , I will get a hold of the structural engineer and find out what I can do your right it's the best thing I can do and if it's only a couple hundred bucks it's well worth it thanks a lot man. I guess in hindsight it's a pretty stupid question LOL. Mjclemmer
I can tell you this, that it is not going to happen, so laugh all you want. I hope the engineer avoids you with every call, because I can tell you right now, that it is not going to happen, and if you do decide to move the jack post, hope you never sell, because you are going to cause headaches for the next guy or gal.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:03 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

A builder is rarely going to just place random posts in, (those cost money and builders are cheap) they usually max out the spans of the beam and put in as few posts as they can, moving one without MAJOR changes is nearly impossible. I've often found direct point loads above those columns carrying loading from the 2nd story or roof so that is another consideration that is very difficult to work around.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robertcdf For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (07-07-2012)
Old 07-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
I can tell you this, that it is not going to happen, so laugh all you want. I hope the engineer avoids you with every call, because I can tell you right now, that it is not going to happen, and if you do decide to move the jack post, hope you never sell, because you are going to cause headaches for the next guy or gal.
CALM DOWN dude.. I asked a question, some replied, I take the advise and go from there, if the engineer says to put in a new foundation for it, I will. There is always a way, you are NOT always right, even if I have to put in another beam, it CAN be done. I NEVER said I was laughing at your suggestion, why the hostility, wow, it's a simple question, I got an answer, calm down. Anything can be done, just a matter of money, thats all. If I get a structural engineer and HE SAYS it can be done, but a new footing needs to be put in and a new header to support the load, I think I'll do it.. Thanks for the advise, but I BELIVE an engineer knows more than us.. Thanks for all the advise.. mjclemm...
The Following User Says Thank You to Mjclemm For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (07-07-2012)
Old 07-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,030

It can be done and we have done it before.
As you said You get a structural engineer he'll tell you what to do.

To only move it 4' might not even be too bad, or could be a nightmare every case is different. That's why you get the structural engineer.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae-ling View Post
It can be done and we have done it before.
As you said You get a structural engineer he'll tell you what to do.

To only move it 4' might not even be too bad, or could be a nightmare every case is different. That's why you get the structural engineer.
Thanks for the imput, I don't want anyone to get me wrong, if an engineer tells me it's a no go, it's a no go. But as I said, there isn't even any weight on the jackpots now, it's just there in place. The I beam is about a 1/16" above the jack post, the "jackpots" I'm talking about isn't the adjustable kind, it's cemented in the ground, and there it's under the I beam with 2 metal straps bent around the bottm of the beam, but it's not even touching the beam. If I can post a picture with the IPad I'll show you what I mean.. Thanks again for the imput.. Mjclemm..
Old 07-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #11

steel columns under steel beams are normally welded all around to the beam. At least that's how I've done them the past thirty years.

Good luck MJ, let us know what the engineer says.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 500

Attached Thumbnails
Jack post spacing in basement-mini-scan0116.jpg  
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tony.g For This Useful Post:
GBrackins (07-07-2012)
Old 07-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #13

looks like the "little column that could," ..... I think I can, I think I can ....

Old 07-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #14
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
I think I'll do just that , I will get a hold of the structural engineer and find out what I can do your right it's the best thing I can do and if it's only a couple hundred bucks it's well worth it thanks a lot man. Mjclemmer
This should be a sticky. This has got to be the smartest post I've heard so far. The OP is doing the right thing. This is very rare here. There's a chance he can't move the post because the steel is maxed, but there's also a chance if he wants to move the post he can at a very large amount of money.

Anything can be done at a price!
Canucker (07-08-2012), mae-ling (07-07-2012)
Old 07-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #15
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,268

Quote:
In my basement I have a Steel I beam spanning my entire basement . I have a total of 2 posts (set in concrete footings and...)coming from the floor to the I beam. I believe they are called jack posts.
No... they are Lally (or Lolly) columns.
Jack posts are a different crittrer and areused solely for temporary uses.

Quote:
My question is I want to move 1 of them approximently 4' over...
4inches 4 feet 4 yards... you don't "move" them.

Quote:
Has anyone done this without an issue?
if you plan to replace one... then also plan to add two.

Advertisement

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote