Jack Instead Of Post In Basement--adjusting? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2013, 11:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 37

Jack instead of post in basement--adjusting?

Jack instead of post in basement--adjusting?-snapshot_20131223.jpg

Jack instead of post in basement--adjusting?-snapshot_20131223_3.jpg

I know this is a jack; it looks like they cut out a post a long time ago, back in the '40s, while doing some remodeling in the basement. There's another one on the other side of that wall, too. Looks like the jacks and the bricks are holding up a joint between two halves of the big beam.

I'm just wondering: Do I ever need to adjust this thing, and how would I do it safely? I just had 10 tons of roofing removed from a 16-square roof, so our house just had some major weight-reduction surgery...

Advertisement

El Barbón is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:51 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 702

Not even sure why that lolly column is even there.
The end of that beam should of had a footing and jacks or some form of brick and or block fully supporting it on the ends, no lolly needed.
Makes me wonder if someone removed them from mid span someplace where they where supposed to be.
Reducing the weight on the roof should have no or little effect where the post is sitting.

Advertisement

Old 12-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,566

That is not a jack. It is a standard adjustable lolly column. No need to adjust it once it has been set.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Only if the floor is dropping, then you would adjust that jack. Post a picture of the bottom of the post, showing if it is embedded in the concrete of the floor or not.

I am guessing that they had some settling on that end, due to water and aging of the structure, and figured that would fix it.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote