Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2009, 09:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

J-channel - Lawsuit

You know, I have been reading alot about J-channel recently, ever since I discovered how badly it lets rainwater leak behind vinyl siding on houses, and I think that the construction industry's use of J-channel on houses and all of the damage to houses that has occured from the water that J-channel lets in is a big enough problem to be "actionable" in terms of a lawsuit.

Does anyone else feel this way?

I'm not one to go around filing lawsuits, but from the reading I have done recently on posting boards, contractors' websites, etc., it seems like there are alot of homeowners out there "suffering in silence" after discovering water damage to their homes due to the use of J-channel. They probably think that the construction industry is too big for them to be able to do anything about it, but I'm not so sure it is.

Nashville, TN

joshoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,018

J-channel - Lawsuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshoc View Post
You know, I have been reading alot about J-channel recently, ever since I discovered how badly it lets rainwater leak behind vinyl siding on houses, and I think that the construction industry's use of J-channel on houses and all of the damage to houses that has occured from the water that J-channel lets in is a big enough problem to be "actionable" in terms of a lawsuit.

Does anyone else feel this way?

I'm not one to go around filing lawsuits, but from the reading I have done recently on posting boards, contractors' websites, etc., it seems like there are alot of homeowners out there "suffering in silence" after discovering water damage to their homes due to the use of J-channel. They probably think that the construction industry is too big for them to be able to do anything about it, but I'm not so sure it is.

Nashville, TN
Another good reason to go with house wrap.

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

J-channel - Lawsuit

Yes, but it burns well and is toxic, too.

Check out the moisture permeability, right in there with insulation. http://www.panhandleinsulation.com/b...materials.html

http://www.fourseasonsroofingandsidi...nnel.leaks.htm

Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:21 AM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,126

J-channel - Lawsuit

The house wrap is not the only solution. Vinyl siding is just a cheap veneer hanging on the side of a structure that is meant to direct the normal rain away. Wind can easily drive water up and/or around it.

The "house wrap", whatever is used, is there to provide a moiture barrier it is intended to deflect the wind driven rain downward instead of to the interior. The J channels just keep it away from openings and direct it down.

Most of the moisture problems I see are the sloppy "carpenter-type" workmanship and old fashioned "I do it the good old way" and do not bother to install windows properly including lapping of barriers and properl flashing. Caulk is just a preety looking band-aid that will eventually fail.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:48 AM   #5

J-channel - Lawsuit

House wrap isn't the end all be all...but it does provide a lot of benefits, including keeping moisture out.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:08 AM   #6
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

J-channel - Lawsuit

It's common knowledge that aluminum and vinyl siding is not waterproof. Vinyl siding systems, including the "J" channel are never meant to be water tight and are not advertised to be. Moisture protection is supposed to be installed before the siding is hung. If it wasn't, then it isn''t the siding manufacturers problem, it's the installer's. Sue him.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #7
We pick these?

J-channel - Lawsuit

Vinyl siding... hahaha. Regardless of how well it's wrapped and taped and spooged up it doesn't look good up close, the worst of all the fake woods. I've seen lots of new trailer-houses with fiber cement, c'mon people...quit putting that junk on your houses.
NailedIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:53 PM   #8

J-channel - Lawsuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by NailedIt View Post
Vinyl siding... hahaha. Regardless of how well it's wrapped and taped and spooged up it doesn't look good up close, the worst of all the fake woods. I've seen lots of new trailer-houses with fiber cement, c'mon people...quit putting that junk on your houses.
The reason why people put up vinyl siding is because they want low maintenance.

Even the fiber cement (eg. hardiplank siding) requires painting.

You can tell that vinyl siding is a bit flimsy when it flaps against the sheathing during high winds.

Also, it does suck when you run the trimmer too close and tear it up.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:07 PM   #9
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

J-channel - Lawsuit

My 2 cents worth on this if you please: In my "Handyman" type business I don't take on whole house vinyl siding jobs. I do take on storage sheds, replacing bad sheet siding materials, etc. I prefer to use 15# felt on walls before I place vinyl siding as I believe water can intrude at "J" channels, and at the seams where horizontal runs meet. That's just me and my old ways, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #10
SNC

J-channel - Lawsuit

A well flashed building WILL NOT LEAK.
SNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:51 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,226

J-channel - Lawsuit

I've never heard of j channel or vinyl siding being sold as water barriers so a lawsuit against the mfg probably wouldn't win. I've heard of many construction pros failing to put a wrb behind vinyl siding and someone should go after them. Vinyl siding is just for pretty. It's what's under it that is suppose to stop water.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:16 AM   #12
We pick these?

J-channel - Lawsuit

I think that the average homeowner that purchases vinyl siding isn't fully aware of how the system works. The kind of consumer I'm referring to "expects" that new siding will make his/her home watertight regardless of what's underneath. Many unlicensed or inexperienced, or lazy, contractors/installers don't sufficiently caulk, flash, wrap, etc... this product to save labor or because they aren't aware of the need to do so. I consider recaulking and painting every 10 years or so with periodic pressure washing lower maintenance than replacing rotten or moldy insulation, framing, sheathing, etc. It looks nice from afar, and I sort of like the smell of it when you cut it with a backwards plywood blade, but I wouldn't choose or recommend it.
NailedIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:51 PM   #13

J-channel - Lawsuit

Yes, NailedIt, most homeowners don't know that vinyl siding is not actually protecting their house from water. (I didn't know until recently.) A bigger problem is that once the vinyl siding is installed, there is no way to visually inspect to see if the water barrier behind the siding was installed correctly or carelessly or at all because the siding covers everything up.

By the way, I don't think you can ever use caulk on vinyl siding because the siding expands and contracts so much.
joshoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:26 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,000

J-channel - Lawsuit

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote