Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2013, 10:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

J channel around door

hi all , just built my 1st shed , have installed the roof,shingles and soffitts , also hung my door and am soon ready to get started on teh vinyl siding the doo i hun is just the door itself with the frame around it , there is no brick mold and i have a small gap from where the shims go .

i was thinking about useing j-channel to cover my gap then run my vinyl siding into it all around there door , would this be ok ?

if not i can make my own brick mould out of plywood and my router and paint it , however i would rather not have to have an area to paint on an all vinyl shed.

i could purchas vinyl brick mould but it's verry pricy here and my door is 7 foot so cost here would be about $60 , trying to make it look nice without spending alot more on it.

ex-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:27 AM   #2
www.inspectorzo.com

Rewards Points: 75
Send a message via Skype™ to InspectorZo
Talking

J channel around door

Congrats on your new shed. Hope you had fun with it. Installing the sheetmetal J channel as a termination strip for your siding will work just fine. Bring your paper over the metal and the remaining gap between the J channel and the door jamb should be caulked all around. If the gap is still wide, you might need a backer rod and then caulk.
Hope this helped.
Have a great weekend.

InspectorZo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-28 View Post
hi all , just built my 1st shed , have installed the roof,shingles and soffitts , also hung my door and am soon ready to get started on teh vinyl siding the doo i hun is just the door itself with the frame around it , there is no brick mold and i have a small gap from where the shims go .

i was thinking about useing j-channel to cover my gap then run my vinyl siding into it all around there door , would this be ok ?

if not i can make my own brick mould out of plywood and my router and paint it , however i would rather not have to have an area to paint on an all vinyl shed.

i could purchas vinyl brick mould but it's verry pricy here and my door is 7 foot so cost here would be about $60 , trying to make it look nice without spending alot more on it.

InspectorZo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InspectorZo For This Useful Post:
ex-28 (04-20-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,030

J channel around door

The J channel could take abuse right next to the door.
Did this door and jamb have a nail fin? Or is a home made door and/or jamb?

The do make PVC brickmould, no painting.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #4

J channel around door

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae-ling View Post
The J channel could take abuse right next to the door.
Did this door and jamb have a nail fin? Or is a home made door and/or jamb?

The do make PVC brickmould, no painting.
just a home made jam , i was thinking about taking things in and out of the shed , jood point , would get hit and cracked easy , think i will jsut make a mould to go around door maybe 1"1/2 - 2".

the prmade brick mould is $ here about $60 to do a door here in winnipeg canada.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #5

J channel around door

Hey, I used to do insurance claims in WPG, also worked in a cabinet shop there, grew up about 2 hrs west of it.

This is probably one of those places that it is worth spending the $60. But I understand.
The Following User Says Thank You to mae-ling For This Useful Post:
ex-28 (04-20-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #6

J channel around door

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae-ling View Post
Hey, I used to do insurance claims in WPG, also worked in a cabinet shop there, grew up about 2 hrs west of it.

This is probably one of those places that it is worth spending the $60. But I understand.
ahh yes area is nice , cold but verry descent
cabinet shop would be fun.....

i picked up some pine brick mould for 20 bucks , i could have made it for 1/2 that price but was in a hurry so i can get things rooling tomorrow
Old 04-20-2013, 11:39 PM   #7

J channel around door

Yep, remember installing doors after break-ins at -40C lol

The Following User Says Thank You to mae-ling For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-21-2013)