It's UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-31-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,642

It's UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No question here....just a big relief......I got it up......

My steel beam that is.....

Part of my 2-story addition requires a 12' steel beam (6"x10" 3/8" steel). Making the beam was not too difficult....my big concern was how to get it up....things weighs about 500 lbs.....

So....rent one material lift....transport home (don't tell the rental company about it bouncing off my trailer and bouncing down Hawthorn BL)....

Get a good neighbor to help....put in place. Overall, my stress over this part was more than the actual effort to make it happen.

With this beam in place I can now set the large PSL beams that connect to it....which means I can finish the 2nd story floor....which means I can frame the 2-story....which means I can then put a roof on it....and end my water problems..

Like all projects, they take longer than expected.....I had hoped to not have to deal with the winter California rains.....oh well....

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,286

That must feel good-----I've muscled up things like that in my youth--

Probably why my back is in trouble now---

Now you can make some real changes----good show.

Advertisement

Old 12-31-2011, 09:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Looking good.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:10 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Don't worry. We did not tell the rental company that we had to get a high reach from, that we dropped a couple of branches on it, and dinged up the pate that covered the elbow. So, were are the pic's of you trying to take out the neighbor kids with that thing?
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
JOATMON

Continuation.....today was a VERY good day....I got the rest of my major beams up....including one 7x11.25 that is 12' long....and the big one....5.25x11.25...20' long.....

Yea......that is a big smile on my face....this is by far the hardest phase of the project....the rest is downhill.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (01-01-2012)
Old 01-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

I do like how the kid thinks that he is the GC. Why didn't you make him do the hard work of cranking that sucker up there, let alone not break a sweat, by trying to be a act like he is there for moral support.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 01-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #7
JOATMON

Actually....there was nothing for him to do....at that point....but when we were moving the beam...he helped carry it.....

Old 01-01-2012, 11:24 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Actually....there was nothing for him to do....at that point....but when we were moving the beam...he helped carry it.....
You could have sent him on a soda or beer run to the garage. My kid always splits, anytime that I talk about wanting to do the Kitchen remodel, or have him help pull wiring. Can not wait until Spring to get the old floor and cabinets up, so I can finish.

At least you guys had good weather to get that sucker up. The wind has been blowing off and on anywhere from 18 to 32 mph all weekend, and still has not let up, as of 10:30.

Advertisement