Issues After Changes Made To Load Bearing Wall - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

issues after changes made to Load Bearing Wall

I recently had an 8 foot opening made in a load bearing wall in my house, I am now finding that the floors on the main floor have shifted and are sloping so much so that some of my harwood floors have actually cracked and you can feel them move under your feet while walking. Today I noticed that my shower head has been forced down so definitely something has happened which is causing the floors to "drop". Additionally there are small cracks in my drywall in the basment which is directly attached to the main beam. To note is there is no cosmetic damage to walls on the main floor or 3/4 second floor. What could cause this and who would I call to look at this?

Advertisement

myprojects2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:30 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,504

Is this for real? You really need to post some pictures, and also update your location.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:36 PM   #3
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by myprojects2
I recently had an 8 foot opening made in a load bearing wall in my house, I am now finding that the floors on the main floor have shifted and are sloping so much so that some of my harwood floors have actually cracked and you can feel them move under your feet while walking. Today I noticed that my shower head has been forced down so definitely something has happened which is causing the floors to "drop". Additionally there are small cracks in my drywall in the basment which is directly attached to the main beam. To note is there is no cosmetic damage to walls on the main floor or 3/4 second floor. What could cause this and who would I call to look at this?
Who sized the beam? Who installed it? Did you have permits and inspections?
woodworkbykirk (02-05-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 160

sounds like the wall was removed.. no beam put in to carry the load
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Either no Beam, or undersized header at the 8' opening.

Who did the work? A licensed GC, or Experienced framer would have known to do it correctly.....

Get it taken care of ASAP!
Old 02-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #6

OTE=AtlanticWBConst.;845077]Either no Beam, or undersized header at the 8' opening.

Who did the work? A licensed GC, or Experienced framer would have known to do it correctly.....

Get it taken care of ASAP![/QUOTE]

Thanks for your reply, I had a family friend do the work-he's currently building an addition for someone so he's definitely familiar with load bearing walls. The header is directly under dead attic space so it is not carrying a ton of weight, the header is 3 2X6's wide and it sits on two 2X6 jack studs with 2 2X6 king studs on each end.
I believe the problem is what's below the vertical supports as I can't confirm they are sitting directly above floor joists. Would this cause the problem I'm dealing with? I plan to have a contractor come out and add joist between the existing joists and then also add blocks between the other floor joists for added strength. I may also require my telepost directly below be adjusted.
Thoughts? Comments? I really appreciate your input.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by myprojects2 View Post
OTE=AtlanticWBConst.;845077]Either no Beam, or undersized header at the 8' opening.

Get it taken care of ASAP!

If he was, why not ask him if he did block underneath the king and jack studs like he was supposed to do. You didn't answer, were there permits and inspections. If not why not?

Last edited by Joe Carola; 02-05-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Joe Carola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 160

he used a 3 ply 2x6 beam.. your joking right.. that will only suffice if its less than 3 ft.. if your going to span anything more than 7'6 it has to be either 3ply 2x10 or engineered
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,274

Post pictures---I don't understand the floor problem---he must have transferred the ceiling load to the floor sheeting instead of back down to the house main beam---Some thing is seriously amiss.
ben's plumbing (02-05-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #10
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,190

I think Oh'Mike may be dead on. You need to verify if the load was transferred to a main support beam. Your comments about adding joists etc. make little sense to me. In general, the header for an 8 foot opening should be supported on jack studs that are carried to a main beam, NOT supported on the floor. But I cannot tell from your post exactly how the support was provided, perhaps you can elaborate, post some pictures.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #11

I had originally had an engineer in who drew the plans for the opening, keep in mind the header is supporting dead attic space, he indicated we could use two 2X10's or three 2X6's. The roof above is a 12/12 slope and this was also considered.
Just had a GC over to check out the problem and although he also said he would have used two 2X10's he said the real problem is that the original wall was 2X4 construction and the sill plate was off centre to the beam, the new wall is now on the original 2X4 plus goes 4 inches off to the side so is no longer sitting on the main beam fully. This would have been acceptible had the proper supports been put in place under the floor BUT my guy didn't do anything under the floor! Not a thing so yes, the Kings and Jacks are essentially sitting on my floor, not the beam!
So there it is, learned my lesson. I'm a single mom who tried to cut costs by going with someone who has experience. F. Have no clue what this will cost to fix.
Note to all-IF you're going to do anything to a load bearing wall hire a structural engineer and a GC with references and who you can report to the BBB about!
Old 02-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #12
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,274

Daniel is a structural engineer---post pictures of the floor structure from underneath--

Also we have many experienced framers here----I doubt if we will be able to engineer the job from pictures but we can offer a few solutions so you understand the cause and possible solutions.
ben's plumbing (02-05-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,596

yes post some pictures...as far as having friends help to save money.thats ok for small things...but to have this kind of job done it really needed to be done by a pro ..but hey life is a learning game..as mike said we have some really good people on this site that can point you in the right direction...

Advertisement

ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-05-2012), woodworkbykirk (02-06-2012)