Issue With Anderson French Door. Help Please. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2008, 01:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Issue with Anderson French Door. Help Please.

Hello, I am having some issues with my fairly new Anderson brand french exterior doors. My first and most prevalent issue is that one of our doors is leaking into our house regardless of my efforts to prevent it. I have cleaned the drain which is supposed to make excess water flow away from the bottom and I have caulked below the drain (did not block holes) with exterior water repelling silicone caulking. I have also repaired the door gasket. The door is relatively close to the cement patio and there is a flat roof above it. The door does not leak as much when it is locked, but water still finds a way in. The water leaks above and below the tar paper which was installed prior to the doors installation.

Our other door shares a different issue ( not the leaking part). The doors have become ridiculously hard to lock. I often have to put my full body weight on the door to push it in far enough to even try to lift the handle and turn the lock knob.

Thank you, DorothyOlive.

Advertisement

dorothyolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:15 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorothyolive View Post
Hello, I am having some issues with my fairly new Anderson brand french exterior doors. My first and most prevalent issue is that one of our doors is leaking into our house regardless of my efforts to prevent it. I have cleaned the drain which is supposed to make excess water flow away from the bottom and I have caulked below the drain (did not block holes) with exterior water repelling silicone caulking. I have also repaired the door gasket. The door is relatively close to the cement patio and there is a flat roof above it. The door does not leak as much when it is locked, but water still finds a way in. The water leaks above and below the tar paper which was installed prior to the doors installation.

Our other door shares a different issue ( not the leaking part). The doors have become ridiculously hard to lock. I often have to put my full body weight on the door to push it in far enough to even try to lift the handle and turn the lock knob.

Thank you, DorothyOlive.
Dorothy!!! Could you post a picture of the both doors in the closed position but not locked!!!. Also Anderson has two style doors 1. Is a Slider 2. Would be a hinged door. there a adjustments on the door for both styles. plus another adjustment on the slider lock hardware. I'll be on the side, BOB

Advertisement

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:50 PM   #3

The French door that doesn't leak but has a difficult locking issue it part of a 3 door system with only the center door hinged on the right (from inside) and working, the outer doors are fixed. There is an AW symbol with the numbers 2579514. There is also a US patent no. 4 548 432 below that. These numbers are located on the side of the door that has the locking mechanism that pokes into the lock plate. The door that leaks AND has difficulty with locking is a single, hinged on left (from inside) french door. It's AW no. is
2579512 with the same US patent number. I'll try to get photos soon.
DorothyOlive
Old 10-02-2008, 06:28 PM   #4

It sounds as tho the door is out of adjustment. do you have the Allen wrench and owners manual. NO! i doubt it. Right. I just installed a double unit. All the hinges Anderson uses, use the same size Allen wrench.
Tomorrow I'll look at it and post you the size . and procedure on the door Adjustment. unless someone could post a reply quicker, BOB
Old 10-04-2008, 12:26 AM   #5

I still have the allen wrench and owners manual. The door has been adjusted at least three or four times, (the door without the leaking problem). Even though it was adjusted, it eventually sagged (?) again and needed adjustment again. The gasket on the bottom of that door completely shredded off. I'm telling you ... these doors were not inexpensive and I have had nothing but trouble with them. I'm more concerned with the leaky door though. I've just chosen the tile for the foyer and I refuse to tile before the water leaks are resolved. What I don't understand is the threash hold design (I call it the trip factor). That leaky door has been adjusted several times and nothing has helped stop or curb the leaking. Could it be too close to the patio and the rain run-off from the roof splashing onto the patio be causing the problem? Someone said gutters would be the cure all? What is your opinion?
By the way, thank you for all your help with this
DorothyOlive :O)
Old 10-04-2008, 05:58 AM   #6

Quote:
I still have the allen wrench and owners manual. The door has been adjusted at least three or four times, (the door without the leaking problem). Even though it was adjusted, it eventually sagged (?) again and needed adjustment again. The gasket on the bottom of that door completely shredded off. I'm telling you ... these doors were not inexpensive and I have had nothing but trouble with them. I'm more concerned with the leaky door though. I've just chosen the tile for the foyer and I refuse to tile before the water leaks are resolved. What I don't understand is the threash hold design (I call it the trip factor). That leaky door has been adjusted several times and nothing has helped stop or curb the leaking. Could it be too close to the patio and the rain run-off from the roof splashing onto the patio be causing the problem? Someone said gutters would be the cure all? What is your opinion?
By the way, thank you for all your help with this
DorothyOlive :O)
in order for the gasket to have fallen off the bottom of the door, it would of had to of been out of adjustment for some period of time. Anderson will replace the gasket on the bottom, you will have to go to a distributor with the door size and model and your sales slip. I would also suggest getting hold of a Anderson tech. representative to come out and look at the door. Or have the person who installed the door to come back and look at it. I have the same type of door but single, and have noticed that when the door is shut hard constantly by the kids, I would have to readjust the door At least twice a year. which has stopped now that they are older.
when adjusting the door all three hinges must be adjusted at the same time, You just can,t do one and leave it. the other two need to take up the slack also!.
Could you post a picture? Bob
Old 12-14-2008, 01:01 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

We have the same doors since 2003, and they have been a nightmare. I can't lock one (double french door), one has had the bottom weather stripping shred, and another needs constant adjustment. The one that shredded-- we have tried to adjust and it doesn't seem to work. There are three double sets of "holes" that are supposed to adjust with a hex wrench. We can't seem to get them to adjust he doors at all. Has anyone got a clue as to how to adjust them? We need them to go up
Thanks
respad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:54 PM   #8

use a 5/32 Allen wrench and start at the bottom hinge, turn the vertical adjusting screw clockwise or towards the plus sign on the hinge, (Only if the door needs to be lifted) continue to turn the screw until the door is centered in the opening, then move on to the next hinge, doing the same , when the door starts to lift again stop and back off a 1/4 turn. then move to the next hing moving up and repeat.
your door should be set at the proper height..( centered in the opening.) Good luck BOB.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:57 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

We did that and there is still a half inch clearance between the top of the door and the frame while the bottom has rubbed the weather stripping away. When we use the hex wrench, i removes the cap but little else on the hinge-- we must be doing something wrong, no?
Thanks again
respad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by respad View Post
We did that and there is still a half inch clearance between the top of the door and the frame while the bottom has rubbed the weather stripping away. When we use the hex wrench, i removes the cap but little else on the hinge-- we must be doing something wrong, no?
Thanks again
remove what cap!!!, the slot is at the bottom of the hinge. does the door get slammed a lot ?. you might need new hinges, which will be covered by Anderson.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:02 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,048

Does water pond (collect) anywhere against the door? Are there ridges or contours in the wall or trim that would let water run into the seam between the door jamb and the wall or between the door and door jamb as opposed to away?

These situations need to be corrected. Caulking needs to be inspected every so often for pulling away from surfaces. Settling of the house can alter the pitch of door thresholds causing water to want to run inside instead of away.

Last edited by AllanJ; 12-15-2008 at 09:06 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:30 AM   #12

Quote:
The water leaks above and below the tar paper which was installed prior to the doors installation.

Thank you, DorothyOlive.
Sounds like an installation issue (not properly flashed) if the water is coming underneath the tar paper. Also if the frame was not caulked when assembled could be another cause or if the threshold was not caulked prior to installing frame.
hrjrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:36 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 164

I installed a set of two Anderson French doors a while ago. (My doors, I'm a DIYer) When I opened the box the active door was square in the frame and held with spacers but the secondary door was missing the spacers on the bottom and the door was not square in the frame. I installed it anyway, thinking I would adjust the doors after I installed them. The active door is perfect but I was never able to get the secondary door right. It doesn't drag but I have to prop it open or it will close by itself. Anderson refused to send someone out and they were unpleasant on the phone.

That being said, when posters are talking about sagging doors, I wonder if it is the door frame that is sagging rather than the doors. The doors seem to be sturdily built and not likely to sag but the door frame is flimsy and depends for stiffness on being securely fastened to the rough framing. Perhaps they should remove one screw from one hinge at a time and see if there are only short screws holding the hinge. Short screws could be replaced one at a time with 3" screws that would grab into the rough door opening frame and provide stiffness for the door frame. Then when the door is adjusted, it should stay in place.
zircon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:55 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,022

Original poster hasn't been on this thread since Oct. I'd relax.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
Original poster hasn't been on this thread since Oct. I'd relax.
Relaxation was short lived. poster 7 had a similar problem. BOB

Advertisement