IRC 404 Basement Walls Lateral Support? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2007, 01:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

IRC 404 Basement walls lateral support?

Any thoughts or comments on IRC 404. I've not seen it yet, I need to get the new code book. Are there methods other than Simpson proprietary brackets. Simpson site suggest their bracket system takes up top support for the lateral load of the backfill. I'm thinking maybe there's practical blocking or other nonproprietary method. What are you builders doing with this? Thanks bjr23

Advertisement

bjr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:11 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,146

Are you talking about the rediculous changes in anchor bolt spacing requirements that were made a standard for all walls because of the need in the weaker panels systems (segmented, non cantilevered) like AWWF and Superior?

Some code provisions have be eliminated in some jurisdictions and I suspect some jurisdiction may put off complete adoption for a while.

I do not have my 2006 IRC handy, so if this is not the item, please respond.

Advertisement

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:07 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I just read about a new L shaped bracket in the Simpson New Products site and it mentioned the 404 code. The new bracket is used with their anchor bolt natuarly. It looks like you connect the bracket to the joist or on to the rim joist and bolt thru the sill plate. Otherwise just the toenails from the joist hold the house to the sill plate. bjr23
bjr23 is offline   Reply With Quote