IPE Decking - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2008, 08:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

IPE Decking

I am planning to construct a new deck. I have read about the pros and cons between presssure treated and composite decking. I stumbled across a website for IPE Decking. Has anyone used this material? Will it stand up to a Buffalo, NY winter? Any and all comments on all three prodcuts will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

janimal37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:29 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

IPE Decking

IPI ! great material. its a pain to work with and is extremely hard & heavy, Everything must be predrilled. I use to use my paslode finish nailer with stainless steel nails worked good for awhile until the gun broke from using it on the material. I'm sure there is other contractors that could give other hints.
oh! when I cut the material I seal the ends with wax or else it will crack. I finish the material with a sealer called penofin.
ACQ (pressure treated ) I don't particular care for as a decking, I find it splinters,
Composite decking it maintenance free look great, But I have seen it at houses where it was scratched up from dragging chairs across it. but does look good when new.
I like the look of IPE or mahogany looks beautiful.

Advertisement

Last edited by buletbob; 05-14-2008 at 11:38 PM.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

IPE Decking

I have quite a bit of experience with Ipe. Used to sell it on commercial projects when I was a lumber salesman years ago. It is certainly the best wood material you can use for a deck, no matter where you live. The stuff is on the Atlantic City boardwalk, Ellis Island, and a lot of other places that get heavy traffic. The Navy used to use it on the decks of WWII battleships I hear. It will take whatever weather you can throw at it and will keep looking good.

It is a good idea to seal the cut ends, although you don't have to do anything to the rest of it. It will weather to a silvery brown. I totally suggest Penofin as well. It will help it keep its beauty.

Pre-drilling is necessary. There are a lot of hidden deck fasteners out there these days that work great with Ipe.

If you ask me, composite isn't worth having. Plastic wood, no matter what. ACQ treated is what you'll need to use for your deck's frame, but it is a lousy material for the parts you'll see and the parts the weather will hit. ACQ is treated Southern Yellow Pine, which is prone to twisting, shrinking, checking, and generally turning ugly.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

IPE Decking

I construced a 16x32 Ipe deck last summer. Not as hard to work with as I had expected, but still a significant difference when compared to PT decking or the "fake" stuff. Just make sure you have carbide blades on all your cutting tools. I'd also strongly recommend a Bowrench if you don't have one.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:25 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

IPE Decking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe F View Post
I construced a 16x32 Ipe deck last summer. Not as hard to work with as I had expected, but still a significant difference when compared to PT decking or the "fake" stuff. Just make sure you have carbide blades on all your cutting tools. I'd also strongly recommend a Bowrench if you don't have one.
Hello Joe - I would love to talk with you about this. can you message me? I live in DC and am considering a tropical hardwood.

Thanks
dcmaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:39 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 664

IPE Decking

Good stuff, what's your budget?
It will cost at least 4 times what pressure treated would cost.
Depending on location it can be extremely expensive.
But if your planning on living in the house for the rest of your life well worth considering.
No having to go back and restain it every two years.
It's tough as nails.
It's also called iron wood.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:07 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 610

IPE Decking

Ipe is hard as a rock. It fears no carpenter bee!!! Seems to age well also. But keep in mind that your joists will (in all likelihood) still be pressure treated. 4 x 4 Ipe is readily available, but 6 x 6 is extremely rare and expensive. Stick with Ipe and don't try to save a couple of dollars by going with Tigerwood -- does not maintain its color anywhere near as well as Ipe.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:28 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 374

IPE Decking

I've used it on several jobs over the years, including my own three-season room. I used matched, tongue & groove, Ipe and I blind nailed through the tongue with hand cut flooring nails. No drilling needed.
I sealed the ends with paraffin wax, and I finished the surface with numerous coats of spar varnish.
I i stalled my floor 16 years ago, and I applied a new coat of varnish 5 years ago. That room is party central most of the year, and the floor still looks like a piece of furniture or the deck of a fine boat.
I can't recommend Ipe enough. If installed and finished correctly it is one of the best choices for wet area flooring.
Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:52 PM   #9
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,500

IPE Decking

If it's in the budget then you should take a serious look. My only complaint with Ipe is the dust, a week of breathing that stuff and you're more than ready to be done. It's brutal on blades and bits but that's part of the cost of the job. I've even steam bent the stuff with success.

If you're hiring this out try to find someone that's worked with it before. I've seen some pretty serious Ipe hack jobs before but I guess that's true with just about anything.

Advertisement