Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2011, 12:27 AM   #1

Share |

Interpretation required - trench depth

I'm allowed to run natural gas and electrical in the same trench according to the city as long as I comply to the following:

- Natural gas line must be at a minimum depth of 15"
- PVC conduit must be at a minimum depth of 18"
- 12" of separation required between the two

Does this mean I need to dig approximately 29" deep, run the PVC, backfill to around 15", run the gas line, and maintain the separation vertically then back fill again OR:

Dig a whole 18" deep, run the two parallel just a foot apart and maintain separation horizontally?

n0c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:56 AM   #2

Either way will do.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:50 AM   #3

I think they mean horizontally, but don't take my word for it, check with the local authority.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:31 AM   #4
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0c7 View Post
I'm allowed to run natural gas and electrical in the same trench according to the city as long as I comply to the following:

- Natural gas line must be at a minimum depth of 15"
- PVC conduit must be at a minimum depth of 18"
- 12" of separation required between the two

Does this mean I need to dig approximately 29" deep, run the PVC, backfill to around 15", run the gas line, and maintain the separation vertically then back fill again OR:

Dig a whole 18" deep, run the two parallel just a foot apart and maintain separation horizontally?
How come you are not asking them ?
Old 08-21-2011, 08:34 AM   #5

They don't know themselves. Gas guy says not my problem I need 15" ask the electrical guy. Electrical guy says he doesn't know ask the gas guy. I found the information digging myself.
n0c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #6

Think about the guy digging it up in the future. What would you want if you were the electrical guy? I'd want them separated horizontally so I don't have to expose the gas line to work on electrical. Separate them more than the minimum if you can since you really don't want to hit either accidentally.
bleedpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
Think about the guy digging it up in the future. What would you want if you were the electrical guy? I'd want them separated horizontally so I don't have to expose the gas line to work on electrical. Separate them more than the minimum if you can since you really don't want to hit either accidentally.
THAT is a common sense answer. If you already have the trencher....its really not that much more work to do two trenches.

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote