Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2011, 11:18 PM   #1
Agressive DIY

Rewards Points: 25

Internal Gutters

We are considering replacing our external gutters with internal PVC ones that run inside the wood framed wall. This will make the house look much cleaner. Any issues I need to watch out for? Any feedback on this approach would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

deeonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:16 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Internal Gutters

only that any failure in the system could be disastrous

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Struble For This Useful Post:
deeonline (02-24-2011)
Old 02-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Internal Gutters

How do you clean leaves and debris from the internals?
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,058

Internal Gutters

Ayuh,... Sounds like a Dumb Idea to me...

The Whole idea of a house is to keep the Water,... Outdoors....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:59 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,068

Internal Gutters

All of the above, plus noise, not to mention the impact on structural integrity, particularly in earthquake country.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Internal Gutters

Don't
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:29 PM   #7

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,122

Internal Gutters

I had an architect designed home that was built id 1917 - I bought it 1968 and it had 10" clay tile exterior wall (stucco exterior) for the load bearing walls with full 2x4s for stripping and interior framing (10' ceilings), then lath, plaster and then a "china coat" plaster. Flat roof (sloped to the center) with NO parapet walls, two interior drains (cast iron) in the walls in the center are of the house. It had a ceiling with a 1' - 2' gap to the load carrying exterior roof.

Just before I bought it, a new flat roof was installed and that roof is still there and working perfectly. We had a lot of big trees, the the leaves generally blew off and once a year, I would go up and look around. - Never a roof leak and because of the cast iron drains and you had to go down into the basement to hear the water running. It was very interesting because I once went on the roof in the later winter and in the center there was what appeared to be about 24" of snow, but the bottom 6-12" was totally honeycombed and just supported the "shell" of snow and water could drain easily.

Because of the quality and performance of the house, I recently met with the owners to see if they had any problems and if they would sell, but they said NO!. - If was a unique house especially considering when it was built. All trim solid birch and had was modern multi-piece cove molding with dentals and it was never stained and was painted from day 1. The 16 casement windows (original) were also unique, but when you painted the room you had to paint both the storms and screens (both copper weather stripped) because they were on the inside.

If the house is designed right and built properly, interior drains can be great and maintenance free.

Dick

Last edited by concretemasonry; 02-23-2011 at 12:32 PM.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to concretemasonry For This Useful Post:
deeonline (02-24-2011)
Old 02-23-2011, 01:20 PM   #8

Internal Gutters

I don't even notice the gutters on a house. Maybe the downspouts; but if you don't like the look of those, you could use chains. Surface tension causes the water to adhere to the chain.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

Internal Gutters

i wouldn't do it myself.
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #10
Agressive DIY

Internal Gutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
All of the above, plus noise, not to mention the impact on structural integrity, particularly in earthquake country.
Not sure what kind of impact it will produce on the structural integrity, but the noise can be eliminated with cast iron pipes.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #11
Agressive DIY

Internal Gutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,... Sounds like a Dumb Idea to me...

The Whole idea of a house is to keep the Water,... Outdoors....
Eventually, the water will be driven outdoors at the foundation line and connected to the existing drainage. The downspouts and the gutters don't fit the contemporary design of the house. So, not sure why this would be a "dumb idea".
Old 02-24-2011, 12:18 PM   #12
Agressive DIY

Internal Gutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
I had an architect designed home that was built id 1917 - I bought it 1968 and it had 10" clay tile exterior wall (stucco exterior) for the load bearing walls with full 2x4s for stripping and interior framing (10' ceilings), then lath, plaster and then a "china coat" plaster. Flat roof (sloped to the center) with NO parapet walls, two interior drains (cast iron) in the walls in the center are of the house. It had a ceiling with a 1' - 2' gap to the load carrying exterior roof.

Just before I bought it, a new flat roof was installed and that roof is still there and working perfectly. We had a lot of big trees, the the leaves generally blew off and once a year, I would go up and look around. - Never a roof leak and because of the cast iron drains and you had to go down into the basement to hear the water running. It was very interesting because I once went on the roof in the later winter and in the center there was what appeared to be about 24" of snow, but the bottom 6-12" was totally honeycombed and just supported the "shell" of snow and water could drain easily.

Because of the quality and performance of the house, I recently met with the owners to see if they had any problems and if they would sell, but they said NO!. - If was a unique house especially considering when it was built. All trim solid birch and had was modern multi-piece cove molding with dentals and it was never stained and was painted from day 1. The 16 casement windows (original) were also unique, but when you painted the room you had to paint both the storms and screens (both copper weather stripped) because they were on the inside.

If the house is designed right and built properly, interior drains can be great and maintenance free.

Dick
Thank you, Dick. I agree. If it's done properly, I don't see any issues with this approach.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #13
Agressive DIY

Internal Gutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb1 View Post
How do you clean leaves and debris from the internals?
Great question. We would install a drainage filter to prevent leaves and debris from getting inside in the first place.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,068

Internal Gutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeonline View Post
Not sure what kind of impact it will produce on the structural integrity, but the noise can be eliminated with cast iron pipes.
The reason that I mentioned the structure was that you said these would be run "inside the wood framed wall". To me, is seems that in order to get inside the wall, you would have to breach the top and bottom plates, which are an intregal part of the structure. I know that such gutter systems exist, as I have seen them, and I assume that it is not much of a problem on a new build, but it seems that it could present a whole other set of issues on a retrofit. Was just throwing it out for consideration.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
deeonline (02-26-2011)
Old 02-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #15

Internal Gutters

http://www.mosbybuildingarts.com/blo...gutter-system/

pyper is offline   Reply With Quote