Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 11:18 PM   #1
Agressive DIY
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 30
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Internal Gutters


We are considering replacing our external gutters with internal PVC ones that run inside the wood framed wall. This will make the house look much cleaner. Any issues I need to watch out for? Any feedback on this approach would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

deeonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:16 AM   #2
Member
 
Tom Struble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: west milford n.j.
Posts: 2,785
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Internal Gutters


only that any failure in the system could be disastrous

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Struble For This Useful Post:
deeonline (02-24-2011)
Old 02-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Saskatoon Sk. Canada
Posts: 419
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Internal Gutters


How do you clean leaves and debris from the internals?
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
Master General ReEngineer
 
Bondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chaumont River, Ny.
Posts: 3,712
Rewards Points: 2,058
Default

Internal Gutters


Ayuh,... Sounds like a Dumb Idea to me...

The Whole idea of a house is to keep the Water,... Outdoors....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,777
Rewards Points: 1,068
Default

Internal Gutters


All of the above, plus noise, not to mention the impact on structural integrity, particularly in earthquake country.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vermont
Posts: 762
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Internal Gutters


Don't
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
Member
 
concretemasonry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Posts: 3,817
Rewards Points: 2,122
Default

Internal Gutters


I had an architect designed home that was built id 1917 - I bought it 1968 and it had 10" clay tile exterior wall (stucco exterior) for the load bearing walls with full 2x4s for stripping and interior framing (10' ceilings), then lath, plaster and then a "china coat" plaster. Flat roof (sloped to the center) with NO parapet walls, two interior drains (cast iron) in the walls in the center are of the house. It had a ceiling with a 1' - 2' gap to the load carrying exterior roof.

Just before I bought it, a new flat roof was installed and that roof is still there and working perfectly. We had a lot of big trees, the the leaves generally blew off and once a year, I would go up and look around. - Never a roof leak and because of the cast iron drains and you had to go down into the basement to hear the water running. It was very interesting because I once went on the roof in the later winter and in the center there was what appeared to be about 24" of snow, but the bottom 6-12" was totally honeycombed and just supported the "shell" of snow and water could drain easily.

Because of the quality and performance of the house, I recently met with the owners to see if they had any problems and if they would sell, but they said NO!. - If was a unique house especially considering when it was built. All trim solid birch and had was modern multi-piece cove molding with dentals and it was never stained and was painted from day 1. The 16 casement windows (original) were also unique, but when you painted the room you had to paint both the storms and screens (both copper weather stripped) because they were on the inside.

If the house is designed right and built properly, interior drains can be great and maintenance free.

Dick

Last edited by concretemasonry; 02-23-2011 at 12:32 PM.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to concretemasonry For This Useful Post:
deeonline (02-24-2011)
Old 02-23-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 594
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Internal Gutters


I don't even notice the gutters on a house. Maybe the downspouts; but if you don't like the look of those, you could use chains. Surface tension causes the water to adhere to the chain.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Freeport Maine
Posts: 484
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Internal Gutters


i wouldn't do it myself.
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #10
Agressive DIY
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 30
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Internal Gutters


Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
All of the above, plus noise, not to mention the impact on structural integrity, particularly in earthquake country.
Not sure what kind of impact it will produce on the structural integrity, but the noise can be eliminated with cast iron pipes.
deeonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #11
Agressive DIY
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 30
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Internal Gutters


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,... Sounds like a Dumb Idea to me...

The Whole idea of a house is to keep the Water,... Outdoors....
Eventually, the water will be driven outdoors at the foundation line and connected to the existing drainage. The downspouts and the gutters don't fit the contemporary design of the house. So, not sure why this would be a "dumb idea".
deeonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:18 PM   #12
Agressive DIY
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 30
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Internal Gutters


Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
I had an architect designed home that was built id 1917 - I bought it 1968 and it had 10" clay tile exterior wall (stucco exterior) for the load bearing walls with full 2x4s for stripping and interior framing (10' ceilings), then lath, plaster and then a "china coat" plaster. Flat roof (sloped to the center) with NO parapet walls, two interior drains (cast iron) in the walls in the center are of the house. It had a ceiling with a 1' - 2' gap to the load carrying exterior roof.

Just before I bought it, a new flat roof was installed and that roof is still there and working perfectly. We had a lot of big trees, the the leaves generally blew off and once a year, I would go up and look around. - Never a roof leak and because of the cast iron drains and you had to go down into the basement to hear the water running. It was very interesting because I once went on the roof in the later winter and in the center there was what appeared to be about 24" of snow, but the bottom 6-12" was totally honeycombed and just supported the "shell" of snow and water could drain easily.

Because of the quality and performance of the house, I recently met with the owners to see if they had any problems and if they would sell, but they said NO!. - If was a unique house especially considering when it was built. All trim solid birch and had was modern multi-piece cove molding with dentals and it was never stained and was painted from day 1. The 16 casement windows (original) were also unique, but when you painted the room you had to paint both the storms and screens (both copper weather stripped) because they were on the inside.

If the house is designed right and built properly, interior drains can be great and maintenance free.

Dick
Thank you, Dick. I agree. If it's done properly, I don't see any issues with this approach.
deeonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #13
Agressive DIY
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 30
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Internal Gutters


Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb1 View Post
How do you clean leaves and debris from the internals?
Great question. We would install a drainage filter to prevent leaves and debris from getting inside in the first place.
deeonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,777
Rewards Points: 1,068
Default

Internal Gutters


Quote:
Originally Posted by deeonline View Post
Not sure what kind of impact it will produce on the structural integrity, but the noise can be eliminated with cast iron pipes.
The reason that I mentioned the structure was that you said these would be run "inside the wood framed wall". To me, is seems that in order to get inside the wall, you would have to breach the top and bottom plates, which are an intregal part of the structure. I know that such gutter systems exist, as I have seen them, and I assume that it is not much of a problem on a new build, but it seems that it could present a whole other set of issues on a retrofit. Was just throwing it out for consideration.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
deeonline (02-26-2011)
Old 02-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 951
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Internal Gutters


http://www.mosbybuildingarts.com/blo...gutter-system/

pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gutters and Decorative Trim on Fascia paulyg Roofing/Siding 12 07-27-2010 03:54 PM
new drip edge over existing gutters scheiman Roofing/Siding 1 06-05-2010 08:44 PM
Leaking Gutters fripster Roofing/Siding 5 02-13-2010 09:25 PM
Box Gutters Fix or Aluminum? jonathan03 Roofing/Siding 4 01-01-2009 01:42 PM
Do I replace my gutters? nymark Roofing/Siding 5 06-18-2008 10:36 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.