Interlock Paver For Driveway - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2011, 09:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

interlock paver for driveway

I am researching interlock paver for my (double-car-width) driveway.
Is the larger and thicker the paver the better in terms of stability, durability, etc?
ie. 80 x 300 x 450 mm is better than 70 x 300 x 300 mm?
Which one is better - 80 x 300 x 450 mm or 80 x 400 x 400 mm?

Advertisement

albertkao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertkao View Post
I am researching interlock paver for my (double-car-width) driveway.
Is the larger and thicker the paver the better in terms of stability, durability, etc?
ie. 80 x 300 x 450 mm is better than 70 x 300 x 300 mm?
Which one is better - 80 x 300 x 450 mm or 80 x 400 x 400 mm?
The success of a paver driveway lies more in a proper base.

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
albertkao (08-22-2011), Canucker (08-21-2011)
Old 08-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,138

The width and length of those units do not qualify as true structural interlocking pavers because there are too wide and long. They appear to be "stepping stone" type products. Because of the ratio of the width or length to the thickness, the larger units can crack and be difficult to install properly and carry the loads.

The 80 mm thickness interlocking paving stone is used commonly for driveways and some streets. For a patio, 60 mm thickness can be acceptable and 100 mm is used for airport taxiways and heavy duty industrial sites like ship cargo unloading ports and storage areas for containers.

Usually, a true interlocking paver is no more the about 10" (250 mm) in either length and width, but commonly 8" or 9".

When you used the term "interlock paver" were you referring to the name of a single manufacturer (Interlock) that makes both stepping stones true interlocking pavers or for the general product type?

The key to the great strength of an interlocking paving stone installation is the base compaction and proper installation methods. > a compacted base > a uniform 1"(maximum) uncompacted clean sand setting bed > true interlocking paving stones set tightly in an interlocking pattern > fine sand sprinkled on the pavers > vibration with a vibratory plate vibrator to work the sand down into and up into the tight joints and to make the surface even.

The interlocking pavers are made to a minimum strength of 8000 psi, with 10,000psi+ very common. Usually the stepping stones do not have a minimum ASTM requirement for strength.

There are some minor differences in the strength of an interlocking pavement for different shapes AND laying patterns, but they are not major factors unless the pattern is a "stacked" pattern.

For installation and technical information, go to the Interlocking Concrete Paving Institute (ICPI) at icpi.org (I think). The installation and technology is common to most countries, but is generally based on European methods where the products were developed many decades ago and came to the U.S. in about 1970.

Dick

Last edited by concretemasonry; 08-21-2011 at 03:33 PM.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to concretemasonry For This Useful Post:
albertkao (08-22-2011)
Old 08-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
When you used the term "interlock paver" were you referring to the name of a single manufacturer (Interlock) that makes both stepping stones true interlocking pavers or for the general product type?
I refers to for the general product type
albertkao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:48 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
The success of a paver driveway lies more in a proper base.
I agree with this. It doesn t matter the size of the pavers you use.

The critical part in interlocking paver is the preparation of the base and also on your drainage underneath if any.

P.S: just make sure you use a good geotextile fabric.
nicksab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:26 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

I refers to for the general product type

Advertisement

jackpercy57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driveway , interlock , paver