Interior Walls Of Hot Tub Room - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2009, 06:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Interior walls of hot tub room

I just finished framing and siding a 28' X 12' attached hot tub room. What is the best way to insulate and finish the inside walls. Have shutters on one end and 12" greenhouse exhaust fan on other end. Lots of humidity at -20 and no heat in room.

Advertisement

MontanaDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

I built a 13x18 room with a large 600 gallon spa in it several years ago. I used tongue and groove cedar on all the walls and ceiling - expensive but beautiful and will hold up with the wet and humidity. Finished it only with a good coating of boiled linseed oil.

Never had a need for heating the room, the warm water from the spa kept the room well warmed. I had a grate in the ceiling with a fan ducted out the roof, and would crack a window, for ventilation.

Plants and ferns loved the room - never had to water them and they would grow like mad due to the high humidity.

Suggest to minimize horizontal surfaces (slope window sills, use verticle blinds, etc.) as they will collect condensation and get gunky. Floors will get slipery so use a tile or other floor covering that will minimize this problem.

Do you have a water tap into the room to refill the spa tub as it needs it? I had a fauset and short hose which made it easy.

Advertisement

vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:40 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the input. I guess what I am really looking for is ideas as how to insulate and what to put on the inside walls. Should I put a vapor barrier between the fiberglass insulation and water rock, wood, what ever? Is there some thing that would work better?? There is no heat in the addition and it was -29F about 2 weeks ago. I don't have a faucet in the room but a frost free hydrant just outside for filling.
MontanaDIY is offline   Reply With Quote