Interior Wall To Exterior Wall Framing - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 722

Interior Wall to Exterior Wall Framing

I was reading a checklist for framing inspection and one point was that the interior wall top plate extends out to the top of the exterior wall and nailed.

Does anyone know if this is code?

I was planning on building up the house to get it dried in as quick as possible meaning that the interior walls would be built after the shell is up.

Advertisement

123pugsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 738

My inspector wants to see all the framing not just the outside walls.

Advertisement

Old 08-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

They want to see all framing of course.

Its just the part of the interior wall top plate extending out to be attached to the top of the exterior wall which will put a break in the top plate of the exterior wall. I see no reason for this as it will weaken the exterior wall.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,654

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
They want to see all framing of course.

Its just the part of the interior wall top plate extending out to be attached to the top of the exterior wall which will put a break in the top plate of the exterior wall. I see no reason for this as it will weaken the exterior wall.
I doubt loss of strength is a concern. It's been years since I framed for a living but extending the interior top plate onto the exterior wall is common practice.
You have to pay attention to where the exterior top plates break in relation to the interior partitions too. I can't reference code because it's been waay too many years for me.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 174

non bearing walls dont need to have the plates lap. bearing walls should. the reason for doing it is to lock the walls togther and prevent lateral movement..

ive framed countless additions and quite a few custom high end homes and not once have inspectors wanted to see partiion wall plates lap onto the bearing wall plate. as long as there is a backer in the exterior wall to allow for nailing of the partion end wall and drywall on both sids youll be fine
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:32 AM   #6
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Thanks Guys.

None of the interior walls will be load bearing so I won't worry about this detail then.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:02 AM   #7
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,472

Not sucking up and tieing the plates together on new construction sounds like a plumb and line nightmare to me.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:36 AM   #8
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Not sucking up and tieing the plates together on new construction sounds like a plumb and line nightmare to me.

Sorry, I don't follow.
I have no problems sucking up anything and doing it right but please explain the nightmare.

Thanks,
Pugsy
Old 08-31-2013, 10:45 AM   #9
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,472

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Sorry, I don't follow.
I have no problems sucking up anything and doing it right but please explain the nightmare.

Thanks,
Pugsy
After you frame all of the walls (load bearing or not) on a floor of a structure the next step is to plumb and brace the walls before you continue going up with the next floor or roof.

With all of the bottom and top plates being the same measurements it's critical that all of the top plates are tight to each other, if they are and you plumb one end of the wall the other end should be plumb also.

If the top plates are not tight and locked together with overlapping plates when you start racking one wall to plumb you'll end up pulling the top plates away from each other on the other walls.

If you have gaps in the plates and you put a level on one end of the wall and it’s plumb and then take the level to the other end of the wall it will be off.

To p&l a house is relatively easy to do if the top plates are all tight and locked together if they’re not the simple task can get real irritating real fast, hence the nightmare..
Old 08-31-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
After you frame all of the walls (load bearing or not) on a floor of a structure the next step is to plumb and brace the walls before you continue going up with the next floor or roof.

With all of the bottom and top plates being the same measurements it's critical that all of the top plates are tight to each other, if they are and you plumb one end of the wall the other end should be plumb also.

If the top plates are not tight and locked together with overlapping plates when you start racking one wall to plumb you'll end up pulling the top plates away from each other on the other walls.

If you have gaps in the plates and you put a level on one end of the wall and it’s plumb and then take the level to the other end of the wall it will be off.

To p&l a house is relatively easy to do if the top plates are all tight and locked together if they’re not the simple task can get real irritating real fast, hence the nightmare..
Sounds like you're referring to the second top plate to tie everything together. This must be used of course.

I just won't have time to start framing interior walls to tie the tops of them to the tops of the exterior walls when I need to get the house dried in quick before the existing finished basement gets damaged from rain.

My checklist with this requirement mentions the Ontario Building Code at the top of the page. I will try doing a search for this.

Advertisement