Interior: Preserving Installation Screw Holes During Skim Coating? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2009, 03:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Interior: Preserving Installation Screw Holes During Skim coating?

I have some workers coming in tomorrow and the next few days. They are going to scrape and patch my plaster walls/ceilings. The building is 1920s and has wood/lathe wall construction. THere lots of flaking paint and also some cracks. It is also possible that they will do a quick/dirty skim coat.

I have a few heavy items (shelving, cabinet cleats, bookshelves, etc) that I had installed and hung, and I have just taken them down. Most of the stuff was anchored using 3/8" x 4"+ lag bolts driven into either the studs or joists. Obviously, there's now a few dozen holes, along with some broken plaster in some places around the entrance holes.

I want to re-hang the items after the work and I DO NOT want to have to redo the very laborious layout, measurement, drilling again. How can I preserve the actual screw holes so they can be accessed after the compound and/or plastering work? Is there some form of place marker I can put in the lag screw holes to prevent them from being filled up and that will NOT interfere with, or complicate, the plastering work? One wall, for ex., has two dozen holes for very heavy duty shelving brackets.

Ideas?

Thanks a bunch.

Advertisement

Lovegasoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

I usually just go back immediately after the wall has been skimmed and put the bolts/screws back in a turn or two. A few times it's been little bits of dowel rod, coat hanger, drinking straw, etc.. I can't imagine that not working for you.

Advertisement

KAdams4458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #3

See, the wall is fairly beat up in some of thee areas, so the workers are going to chip, chop, scrape, etc., and in some places there are cracks as well so there will be quite a bit of filling and resurfacing taking place. If they completely cover the wall over with compound/plaster, how will I find all the holes? Anything I place in the screw holes will be buried....it will turn into an archaeological dig to find them again and I'll likely destroy the wall doing that. Conversely, anything I place in the holes and that still stands proud of the surface, in order to mark the holes for future use, will interfere with the worker's smooth surfacing and knife/trowel work.
Do you get the picture?

???
Old 09-28-2009, 06:22 PM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Tack a sheet of transparent visqueen over the whole area. Mark each hole with a marker on the visqueen.

Make sure you have some reference that will enable you to place the sheet of visqueen right back up in EXACTLY the same location.

Your holes will be right underneath your marks.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:03 PM   #5

Thanks for the solutions!