Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2008, 01:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Interior perimeter drain install

http://www.basementsystems.com/basem...waterguard.phpNot sure if this is the right forum of not but hopefully...

THe house that we bought 2 years ago gets water in the basement only during very heavy rainfalls when the ground is already saturated. It happended 3 times last winter and has happened once this winter. There is a sump pit installed in the bathroom along the middle of the west wall. 80% of the water comes in along the northwest corner (~20 feet from the sump pit and seperate by a block wall with footer underneath), the rest of the water comes in along the north wall. We had some people come out and they wanted to install a perimeter drain ontop of the footer and run it into our exisiting pit(they would stay on the footer and go through the core of one block seperating the 2 rooms). The system they use can be found here. see top of post?

Last edited by joshm; 03-11-2008 at 01:38 PM. Reason: insert link
joshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #2

Ok dont know why my entire post wasnt listed??? Anyways, they want 3k to instal the above system when my father and law should be able to do it ourselfs for 300 or so. We were thinking of using 2 or 3 inch perforated pvc pipe placed on top of the footer and ran 5 feet down the east wall, across the entire northwall, and the down the west wall and into the pit. We are planning on going on top of the footer instead of beside to allow us to empty into the existing pit (since the room is seperate by a block wall with footer below we would eitehr have to go under or through the footer or stay on top and run through the block core) We will also drill weep holes into the cores of each bottom block below the wall. So do you think this will work or do we need a different material? Their product is retangular instead of round. What about size 2 inch or 3 inch? Thanks for the help.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
so-elitecrete

Rewards Points: 150

when we did wtr management systems in n j,,, looks like the shape's changed but, otherwise, still the same theory - water runs downhill & seeks its own level.

most of the cost of these systems labor & indirect expenses ( adv-commissions-ovhd-warranty ) - mtls costs're very low,,, if you've got a ferguson supply nearby, you can buy the pvc dimpleboard,,, 4" flexible slott'd pvc pipe's avail at h/dlowe's in rolls,,, 3/4" weep holes & inject a 50/50 mix of chlorox & wtr,,, at least a 3" conc cover over the sys.
so-elitecrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #4

4 inch pvc will not fitt on the footer. There is only 4 inches of concrete floor that sits on footer. With that removed it would leave room for 2 inch pvc at wall footer juncton with ~2 inch concrete over that. Would that work? Also not sure i am following you on the cholorox thing?
Old 03-11-2008, 03:26 PM   #5
so-elitecrete

if you look again at the link's system, note their extrusion's down beside the footer,,, floating slab normal bsmt floors're 4",,, chlorox/wtr mix kills mold spores inside the block cells.

this help ? ? ?
Old 03-11-2008, 03:43 PM   #6

The system above is sitting on the footer and next to the wall. They end up putting ~2 inches on too of it. They only bust the concrete up a total of ~6 inches from the wall (footer extends 4 inches). I am leaning toward installing my own system on top of the footer also so I can use my existing sump pit. As I do not want to dig through or under my footer which is under the wall seperating the bathroom from the game room where the leak is. Are you suggesting that I place 4 inch pvc on the footer and concrete over? There would be no room as the pipe would extend beyond the height of the remaining 4 inch thick floor and would not be level when I redid the concrete over that area. I would definately use 4 inch if I was going beside the footer as there would be pleanty of room. Does this make sense? If I use 2 or 3 inch on top of the footer if would still be able to concrete over and keep my floor level. Also thought about using rectangular downspout (vinyl or aluminum) with holes bore into if that would work better. This is a simliar system here with a different shape. http://www.alldrywaterproofing.com/watertrek.html

As you can see it also actually sits ON the footer. What do you think?
Old 03-11-2008, 05:08 PM   #7
so-elitecrete

was because it DID sit on the footer,,, yes, we had more labor invested BUT our system, as installed, ' caught ' the wtr at the toe of the footer together with the leakage from the drain holes into the cells & cove leakage,,, yes, there'll be more dirt to haul out & rock to bring back down,,, but i never liked paying for the same ground twice, either,,,

if you're worried about a footer blocking 1 side from the other, core thru it,,, e did & never experienced any trouble in any client's home,,, sometimes you just gotta dig ! ! !