Interior Finish Of Prefab Shed - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2005, 08:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Interior finish of prefab shed

I have a customer I've been working with on doing an interior finish on a prefab 12x24 shed he has in his back yard. I think he wants to use it as a beertime hideaway but anyhow... the walls are only 6ft high and the roof has a shallow pitch with rafters on 24in centers. I can't use fiberglass in the ceiling cause of venting issues. He's not willing to pay the price for me to spray in foam and I'm worried about the 2x4 rafters holding sheetrock. I was thinking about using 1/2in foam sheets over the rafters and use thin strips of wood on the seams and over the button nails, then spray paint over all of it.

Opinions? Other suggestions?

Advertisement

knowltondata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

knowltondata

I am assuming you have a peek in the middle of the shed the narrow way. I guessing with that you are under 8' length from the wall to the peek? This can leave you options of most paneling and even bead board. You mentioned foam so I assume their is a concern for insulating for climate or noise. I wonder if you could cut some sheet Styrofoam insulation to fit in between the joists before putting whatever sheathing on the ceiling? If you go your 1/2 foam route make sure you test the paint that you plan to use first. Some Paints can Quickly dissolve some foams. I think 1/2 foam might tend to sag with the 24" center? Another questionable concern many foams are not intended for living area with out being covered by drywall due to solvent emissions. But this is not really a living area? Does he plan on ac or heat (any insulation R value would be well spent now.

I am assuming the electrical is routed for lighting and a beer cooler

Advertisement

Old 03-11-2005, 10:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally posted by MgMopar
knowltondata

I am assuming you have a peek in the middle of the shed the narrow way. I guessing with that you are under 8' length from the wall to the peek? This can leave you options of most paneling and even bead board. You mentioned foam so I assume their is a concern for insulating for climate or noise. I wonder if you could cut some sheet Styrofoam insulation to fit in between the joists before putting whatever sheathing on the ceiling? If you go your 1/2 foam route make sure you test the paint that you plan to use first. Some Paints can Quickly dissolve some foams. I think 1/2 foam might tend to sag with the 24" center? Another questionable concern many foams are not intended for living area with out being covered by drywall due to solvent emissions. But this is not really a living area? Does he plan on ac or heat (any insulation R value would be well spent now.

I am assuming the electrical is routed for lighting and a beer cooler
Sagging is something thats worried me... maybe run the wood strapping across the joists at closer intervals? I've seen this blue foam board (sorry, my knowledge of foam is limited to spray-in-place types) I haven't tried paint on it yet. I'm also worried if I put drywall on the ceiling, it would be too heavy... 100 pounds or so a sheet... on 2x4 low slope ceiling.

Wants to use a window unit (framed through the wall).

There was some "rigged" wiring out to it when I started.. buried 12/2 romex out the bottom of the house panel through a un-bushing-ed knockout (whoever did it used caulk) open splices all over... I buried three 3/4 conduits out there, 1 for a 40amp subpanel, and two for extras (it's cheap to add extra pipe now while the trench is open!!!! Oh, and all new wiring inside.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:37 AM   #4

Drywall does get lighter as you get thinner, If you are not concerned about fire rating you could go to 1/2" or 3/8" sheet rock. Altho I would think are sagging issue would come back into play with the thinner sheet rock on a hormonal surface and 24" centers.
Anther thought, I have seen exterior sheathing that has like a stucco look. It was like a fiber board product. It was fairly rigid and not too heavy. I think it had a r value of 3. I used it once when helping a friend build a lean to type shed off of his garage. I have no idea what it was called though. Came in a primer gray. I think this could be painted and have a nice look to it. I think he had bought all the supplies at a Menards. This was about 4-5 years ago. I haven't looked for it since. My online searching so far came up not finding it.

Does he want a bell to ring when someone is ringing his house door bell?

Phone and cable or a intercom to the house?

I have lights on the front of my garage that can be switched from in the house or in the garage with a 3 way.

I also ran a Cat 5e line so my computer in the garage can share my stored music in the house.

Just a few more ideas before you close the trench. I would run low voltage wiring inside a PVC pipe or something. Leave a string or two threw with the wires for future pulls. Have you ever tried to use a fish tape threw a PVC 90 bend or even a 45?
Old 03-12-2005, 08:10 AM   #5

Quote:

Just a few more ideas before you close the trench. I would run low voltage wiring inside a PVC pipe or something. Leave a string or two threw with the wires for future pulls. Have you ever tried to use a fish tape threw a PVC 90 bend or even a 45?
I use a shop vac and a piston "rat", I don't think I've used my fishtape in a long while... but there are ends, and I've got one, that you put on the end of the fishtape that make it easier to go around bends... they kinda look like round tightly woven springs that are very flexable.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:16 AM   #6

Quote knowltondata
Quote:
I use a shop vac and a piston "rat", I don't think I've used my fishtape in a long while... but there are ends, and I've got one, that you put on the end of the fishtape that make it easier to go around bends... they kinda look like round tightly woven springs that are very flexable.
Cool, I have not seen that done I will look into it. Will the rat work with some wires already threw or does it get hung up? Does home stores sell something like that or can it be made?
Old 03-13-2005, 03:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Quote knowltondata

Cool, I have not seen that done I will look into it. Will the rat work with some wires already threw or does it get hung up? Does home stores sell something like that or can it be made?
The rat only works with empty PVC, rigid, and sometimes I can make em work in EMT. I haven't seen them in the big box places, but a supply house should have them or can order them... Greenlee made the set I have. You just tie your string to the end of it, stuff it into the pipe, go to the other end and vac it through. Get the pull line in a bucket (about 6500' in a bucket) and it doesn't knot up. I picked up that shop vac attachment that is at the home stores that fits on the hose and steps down to several different hose sizes, it's perfect for stepping down that 2" hose from the vac to your pipe size.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:29 PM   #8

The shed finish is complete... I'll see if I can't get some photos up soon... I used kraft faced batt insulation on the ceiling with cross strapping at 2' intervals and sprayed it with elastomeric coating (I use it with spray-in-place foam on commercial rooftops) for fire retardance. It turned out to look pretty good. Regular sheetrock on walls.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:41 PM   #9

Is the product available to the general public and what is required to put it on? does it dry glossy or flat and I am assuming it is a opaque color? looking forward to photos! It sounds like it is cost effective solution to many semi finished ou-buildings and sheds?

Advertisement