Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2010, 03:40 PM   #1

Share |

Interior doors won't close properly

House (and doors) are 80 years old.
My interior doors are not aligned, but it's not the usual problem.
They never rub, and the latches catch fine.

The top of the door closes sooner than the bottom (or vice versa).

The doors don't bind on the hinge side of the jamb. They don't appear warped, just not plumb.

These are interior doors, solid pine w/large panel, mild climate.
If I need to adjust the hinges, do I adjust the door side or the jamb side?

Thx

g3troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:37 PM   #2

G3,
If the doors aren't off that much, I would carefully remove the doorstop if it is a separate piece, shut the door, and reinstall the stop right up to the door. It sounds like either the doors are warped just a tad,or the walls and or doors could be out of plumb, causing the gap.
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:49 PM   #3

Fire,
It's off about one inch top to bottom, too much to adjust at the plate.
Thx
Old 09-24-2010, 05:47 PM   #4

G3,
If it is off an inch, something is definitely wrong. Get a good accurate 4' level and see if the wall if off that much. Can you post a few pics?
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:07 PM   #5

I checked and the jamb is almost perfectly plumb, but the door is off. The door is plumb on the hinge side.

It's actually off about 7/8" from top to bottom.

Seems like the easiest fix is to either adjust the hinges, or remove the jamb and cut the surface that meets the door.
Attached Thumbnails
Interior doors won't close properly-jamb_top.jpg   Interior doors won't close properly-jamb_bot.jpg   Interior doors won't close properly-jamb_plate.jpg   Interior doors won't close properly-jamb_hinge.jpg  
Old 09-25-2010, 06:28 AM   #6

Hopefully you are not looking at a new settling issue with your house. I say that because I recently had a similar issue, but with an exterior door. Turned out that the building in question settled at the corner nearest the door, by about an inch. Had to jack the building up and replace some concrete piers, the posts, and a piece of the sill.

1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:04 PM   #7
STAFF

I am speaking as if this is what I would do if it were mine. Before I took that jamb out and alter the door stop I would cut a piece of wood the same thickness as the stop from 0 to what ever the door is at the top. That is not the ideal way to fix it but one way.

Another way (and I know I will catch some grief for this) bump the top of the door jamb in at the top where there is a gap about 1/4 inch, at the top on the other side of the jamb bump the jamb back the other way 1/4 inch. Now at the bottom bump the bottoms the opposite direction from the tops you bumped. That should put the jamb against the door all the way around. The down side is you will have a gap in the leading edge of the door trim to fill.

I would do like you said and adjust the hinges before I did that though. I know this isn't the pro way to fix this problem and I would never do that to any customer but for myself I just might if I didn't want to go through the trouble and expense to fix it right.

Just one more thing and it may not even work at that. Spring the door beyond where it needs to be and let it stay that way for a few days and see if it will stay. Be very careful though, you could crack or bust your door that way.

OK I have given you some very unprofessional advice so you can do with it as you wish.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #8
Mod

I’d be looking under the house. Something is probaly rotted and or broken. I’ve seen this many times in old houses that were built before permits and inspections. You never know what you’ll find. Sometimes the HVAC guys would come in and hack up joist and beams to make the install easier for them. Someone needs to get under there and look.

Have you put that level on the floor yet?

Last edited by kwikfishron; 09-25-2010 at 01:37 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
BigJim (09-25-2010)
Old 09-25-2010, 02:44 PM   #9

If the door was cut high because it scrapes the floor when fully open there is some settling under that wall. If there is new settling, adjusting the jam/hinges won't solve the problem.
Stillwerkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:15 PM   #10

The floor is off a little, enough to blame it. Joists sills and posts are solid under...probably finished settling over 50 years ago. I'm not getting into that, not worth it.

Dunno why door is high, all are like that, and none come near scraping. Probably cut during the shag carpet era.

I'll adjust the hinge and call it a day.

Thx All