Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2010, 02:39 PM   #1

Share |

Interior Doors - Flat vs Split Jamb?

I'd like to replace a few hollow core interior doors with solid core doors. These have to be special ordered and the gentleman at Lowes asked if I want split or flat jamb.

What is the difference and is there a benefit (or detriment) of one vs. the other?

TIA.

Tipsy

TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:29 AM   #2

Surprised no one replied...

I ordered split-jamb. I read that the flat jamb is stronger but the split jamb is easier to retrofit.

Tipsy

Old 07-28-2010, 11:10 AM   #3

Thanks for following up your own thread. Good to know.
Curious, what is the price difference between solid-core vs. hollow core door? Are these totally flat? We bought Jeld-wen 6-panel pine doors from HD, thinking they have to be better than the molded doors but one of them already started to delaminate...

I always have a hard time special-ordering stuff, sight unseen. We were at HD again yesterday inquiring about 24" bifold doors with a smooth surface, (without the fake wood grain their stock 24" bifold doors have) and they guy said that the doors have a vinyl finish? and not really condusive to painting? so while white is what we want, it made me hesitate and not put in our order...
smoochas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoochas View Post
Thanks for following up your own thread. Good to know.
Curious, what is the price difference between solid-core vs. hollow core door? Are these totally flat? We bought Jeld-wen 6-panel pine doors from HD, thinking they have to be better than the molded doors but one of them already started to delaminate...

I always have a hard time special-ordering stuff, sight unseen. We were at HD again yesterday inquiring about 24" bifold doors with a smooth surface, (without the fake wood grain their stock 24" bifold doors have) and they guy said that the doors have a vinyl finish? and not really condusive to painting? so while white is what we want, it made me hesitate and not put in our order...
The doors I ordered are two panel, smooth finish. These are solid core but not solid wood. They are Masonite doors. Solid wood doors are considerably more expensive.

I opted for 3 1/4" casings, which is an up-charge vs. the standard 2 1/4". I also opted for a satin-nickle hinge (but I don't think there was an up-charge for that). The doors were about $128 each and the price was the same for 18", 30" & 32" doors. Ordered through Lowes.

Tipsy
Old 07-29-2010, 11:02 AM   #5

Split jambs make installation easier if, for example, your house has plaster walls that aren't exactly the same thickness everywhere.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote