Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2006, 08:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Interior door source? Help

Hi, everybody. We moved to the East Coast a year ago (from CA) and bought a house built in the early 1900s. There have been a few poor remodels over the years that we will slowly fix. We don't feel the need to 'restore' but we would like to put more of a quality feel to it... I'm trying to find a good source of interior french doors (need five) in oak to match our new windows with white oak casing (soon to be stained to match old chestnut). I've gone to HD, Lowes and a local millworks and google searched for these doors. HD masonite brand are plywood with oak face - Lowes Reliabilt are unknown since clerk thought solid but wasn't sure - Local millworks carries Masonite at twice the price of HD. There is a web retailer called interiordoors.com with a good middle price for solid white oak but I have no idea about the quality. Has anyone ordered from this website? Are Lowes Reliabilt good or too good to be true?

I checked for opinions - good or bad - but there isn't a lot of talk about the quality of HD, Lowes, etc. interior doors in the DIY forums. Any advice would be appreciated :confused: .

terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:49 PM   #2
Contractor

Rewards Points: 0

Interior door source? Help

There are junkyards for old homes in your area, try the This Old House site. The chances of finding your quantity, matching is very slim. You are limited to custom millworks or DIY which should work out closely to the same price. With DIY doors, you can effect a savings when you sell the equipment or save further on other projects.

Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote