DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Interior Concrete Floor

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  jogr 
#1 ·
Hi

I am building a house in Mexico. I was planning on useing ceramic floor tiles to finish floors, but because some of the walls are not as square as they should be (thanks, master laborer), and not wanting this to be so evident with the tile joints (flooring) against the walls, I was thinking of maybe pouring a finish concrete slab (with some sort of coloring mixed in) and then embedding some ceramic tiles into the slab and flush with its surface.
None of the tiles would be placed any closer than 2-3 feet from the walls. There would then be the finished concrete border totally surrounding the tiles and the visual problem with un-square walls would not be so evident.

I have done some research on the compu about useing a concrete 'cap' of some kind. Would this be better than just the actual tinted concrete surface surrounding my tiles?

Being in Mexico, I am at the mercy of materials available but would appreciate any help/suggestions on this project.

Thank you in advance,
Paul

See less See more
#2 ·
How much out of square are we talking? Using large tiles (12"X12" or even larger) will help minimize how easily the problem is seen. You could run a boarder of large tiles and then fill in the rest with the tiles you were intending on using originally. It would provide a very similar effect to the method you are considering now but without the hassle of trying to pour a very thin yet very accurate cap around the area you would then lay tile.

#6 ·
Turning Tiles 45 degrees

I didn't say that the cap would straighten out the walls. I implied that having a 'seamless' strip of concrete border against the walls, instead of the tile lines (joints) to gauge the out-of-squareness, would reduce the probability of walking into the room and immediately noticing the problem.

Not so sure that turning the tiles 45 degrees will help. I am going to work with this in my design program and see. Thanks itsreallyconc.

Oxymoron???? Never heard the term. But if the implication is correct... yep!... we've got a bunch of them down here.

#7 ·
pythagoreum theorum :whistling2: as i recall from 9th grade geometry,,, a(sq'd) + b(sq'd) = c9sq'd) OR ( 3 x 3 ) + ( 4 x 4 ) = ( 5 x 5 ),,, same for the 6 - 8 - 10 ( 36 + 64 = 100 )that's how we square corners.

you're f'd right now,,, nothng will make out-of-square look square,,, that's how we deal w/it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.